Store bought versus home grown

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
eggs.jpg
My hens are on a break, so I went to Stop and Shop and bought their Organic eggs. Then a hen left me a nice surprise this morning. Can you tell which egg is my backyard egg?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know! My hens are on break now too, and it is killing me to get those pale little yolks in the store bought eggs. And there is no taste to them!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boy, that is a hard question!!! Which egg is from your chickens?

Just wait until I start cleaning the marigolds out of the garden and feeding the flowers and seeds to the chickens. That will make a color difference, even the seeds.

The new minister recently fed one of my eggs to her mother. She was talking about the taste and appearance without the minister prompting her at all. That is, if you can believe a minister.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
gee catjac1975 that is sooo hard to answer. big golden yoke verses little pale anemic yoke, hard for me to tell...
and by the way, i went to your website and looked at your daylilys, oh my they are so beautiful. i only have about 10 varieties so i have a long way to go. you have some beautiful flowers ladybug!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have so many to add to the website but seem to not have enough time. I have at least a dozen that have been unbelievable rebloomers through October. 2 have bloomed since July and are still in bloom! What an unbelievable daylily year! Thanks for taking the time to look at our website.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm still getting 2 or 3 eggs a day even though the girls have begun to moult. I am hoarding my eggs now and hope to get through the next month without having to buy any. :fl I'll turn the light on in the coop after that.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's an epidemic! My hens are moulting too. I have a bantam Cochin that delivers one a day. So that's all we get. One A Day. And it's a little one.
We use a minimum of 4 a day, seven days a week so I am buying them also.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked up one egg yesterday -- three today. My girls are slowing down, definitely molting, but with 15 hours of light, they're still feeding me. I do add light to the coop through the dark months, but would never think to keep the lights on 24/7 like some do.

Yup, I think I know which egg is home grown er..home laid that is.

Latest posts