Straw bale garden

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I saw a book on straw bale gardening I had two bales of hay left for having the chickens I took one bale of hay put it by the fence I took one large bucket filled it with Miracle Grow and put that next to the bale. I bought a six pack sweet potato plants 3 in the mail its 3 in the bucket both got waters at the same time neither one got fertilizer in the following picture shows you how it's doing now when I harvest I'll be sure to show you that.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@the1honeycomb , got an update here?

I'm curious how this is going for you and if you feel you're getting out of it what you're putting in (water and time).

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Last week one of panelists on Mid American Gardener (WILL, PBS TV, Champaign, IL) talked about her really good experience doing straw bale gardening. She said the BEST part about it is no weeds! I could do a search and find out how to contact her. She runs UIUC extension office and has a demonstration plot on site.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I havea hard time putting up photos. but the barrel is next to the straw bale, 4 plants planted from the same container. 2 in the pot and 2 in the bale. the plants in the pot seem to never have enough water, and they both get watered 2 gallons every week. the bale plants the leaves are twice the size of the potted plants and growing very vigorously i haven't tried to harvest any yet so I still am waiting for the plants to die. hopefully I will get a photo up from them.

Latest posts