Teenagers Making Money Shoveling Snow

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
In a way that is funny, in a way it is not. Who can complain about efforts to stop unsolicited e-mails, junk mail, and even though I'm on the "leave me alone" list I still get unsolicited phone calls. I can certainly see where you don't want people going door-to-door like that. It's not just that they might be scam artists. Just last night an elderly friend explained she was nervous about people finding out that she lived alone. That's one reason she is very leery of Craigslist. You never know who will respond.

But when you pass a law to try to take care of one problem, there are often unintended consequences. That's why you need to be extremely careful how you word these things. Even then you often don't get it just like you intended.

I commend those boys for showing the initiative and spirit to try to make things happen. But once they were called the police had no choice but to enforce the law. I'm glad they were able to use their discretion and issue a warning instead of making an arrest and I'm glad that their boss approved.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last winter, my youngest son, who is far from being a teenager, and his friend needed to make some money, so they went around shoveling snow. They didn't need fliers--people would yell out their door at them to come over when they got through with the one they were working on. It only took doing that first sidewalk to get an avalanche of jobs.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky I would be happy to have some one shovel for me. Around here kids are just handed any money they need by parents. Most get their 1st visa card for 13 birthday and new car for 16 birthday.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lucky I would be happy to have some one shovel for me. Around here kids are just handed any money they need by parents. Most get their 1st visa card for 13 birthday and new car for 16 birthday.

That's just crazy. My kids didn't even get a tv in their room till they were in high school.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When Kid#1 was 12 he got a job across the road cleaning stalls for the trainer.
He also mowed and weed whipped a huge field of weeds for an elderly neighbor. He bought his own computer with the money he earned.

They didn't get their own cars until they could buy them from us and afford their share of the insurance.
They never had their own tvs. They both had plenty of chores around the home to keep them out of trouble. Coincidently or not, both have amazing work ethics today and I couldn't be happier with their character.

Oh wait, this wasn't a brag on your own kid thread was it? :oops:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know we have a similar ordinance around here. in order for you to go door-to-door you need to have a peddler's permit. doesn't seem to stop the Direct TV guys that keep trying to get us to come back.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Should teenagers/ students be exempt from some laws ? The local high school at country house does car washes about 4 times a year. When ever they hold one I have my car washed, I don't care about clean car, I just support kids trying to make money.

Latest posts