The building of my new greenhouse has started. Updated 4-19-12

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well it looks like it is going to be a very nice day out today so maybe after I get the new plastic on the old A frame green house I will get to work some on the new greenhouse.
If I do I will post pics.

50 @ 9:39 am

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well got to work on the new greenhouse some today.

Other half of the West wall. The only thing I have left to do to this side is to frame and cut out the 2 windows. (one on each side of the door)

7054_j.jpg

7054_l.jpg

Chris

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
progress is looking great. are you going to use it just for starting plants for the garden, or are going to grow tomatos and other plants in? :bow

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Collector said:
progress is looking great. are you going to use it just for starting plants for the garden, or are going to grow tomatos and other plants in? :bow
My plain is to use it for starting seeds in the spring and to try to extend the growing season as much as I can in to the fall/ winter.
In the fall/ winter I would like to grow green, cabbage, carrots, and maybe some tomatoes and peppers I plain to insulate all the walls and the North roof as much as possible so that I have less heat loss and will be able to hold in more solar energy. The biggest problem I see right now is possible over heating in the late spring (just before plant go into the garden) and throughout the summer.
I do have a 3 foot by 5 foot louver that is going in at one end of the North wall and a 36 inch exhaust fan that will be going in the East wall, this will help some but it might not be enough.
I have been thinking of a way to add vents in the North roof that can be open and closed as needed but that idea hasn't been fine tuned yet.

Chris

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right to worry about it heating up... I was shocked at how hot mine got. Check out those window actuators they sell at Harbor Freight. They are under 20 bucks a piece and they work perfectly. The arm is filled with wax. When the wax heats up, the hinge opens the window. As the wax hardens again, it closes...I was happy to see mine working yesterday. So, they made it through the winter. I spent a lot of time worrying about how cold it was going to be in the greenhouse - and the real issue was the heat. Your project is looking great!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
You are right to worry about it heating up... I was shocked at how hot mine got. Check out those window actuators they sell at Harbor Freight. They are under 20 bucks a piece and they work perfectly. The arm is filled with wax. When the wax heats up, the hinge opens the window. As the wax hardens again, it closes...I was happy to see mine working yesterday. So, they made it through the winter. I spent a lot of time worrying about how cold it was going to be in the greenhouse - and the real issue was the heat. Your project is looking great!
Yea, the over heating is going to be a big problem I believe.
I know that the old A frame greenhouse will get 90 greenhouse air temperature @ 11:30/ 12:00 with outside air temperature at 25 and the A frame had no insulation.
I have been thinking of window actuators but I am going to have to see what the roof vent are going to weigh then see if the actuators are going to be able to open that weight.

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got the North Wall vent from my parents house the other day and I got more lumber for the new greenhouse so I hope to get more done on the greenhouse this week.
I'm looking at a high of 46 today and tomorrows high of 63

Chris

Latest posts