This is the sound that woke me up last night

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/view_default.asp?sortBy=has+audio&viewType=list&curFamilyID=203

Outside of my window this loud call woke me up. It is the call of a barn owl. I have heard it in the distance before but this one was so close, I could never until now, figure out what it is. I wish I had that night camera now. Of all nights we got home late from a concert and I had forgotten to lock up my chickens. I turned on all the outside lights and went with a flashlight to do what I had neglected to do. Thank God they were all fine! Just now I was out side around 7:45 PM and I saw a large, light colored, winged flash over the chicken coop. The birds went nuts!
40-50 hens and roosters hiding and making their noises all at once. A chicken cacophony! I will not neglect them again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Close, Cat'.

I had a family (momma and 2 babies) living within view of the big veggie garden a few years ago. They were in the rafters of the neighbor's hay barn.

I was hoping that they would slow the cottontail rabbits down. Not much - rabbits during the day, owls mostly at night. I found only 1 rabbit skin in that barn but quite a few mouse skeletons (owl "pellets") and lots of collared dove remains. Obviously, they liked to eat birds.

Steve

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cat, that is a great bird for your part of the country! There is a small community of Barn Owls out on the Vineyard, but they have a tough time in snowy winters. Protect your chickens, but this is a very rare bird that deserves our understanding and appreciation.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not want it to hurt my chickens but, I also would love to see it. I would never harm it. I am only guessing by the way from the sounds I found online. I am bringing my cell phone to bed with me to try to catch the sound tonight.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Way cool! That screeching sound sure could give you the heebee jeebies if you were out in the woods at night and didn't know what it was!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I almost lost my dog to a "Great Grey Owl" just a couple of months ago. He was trotting in from going potty and this HUGE owl with HUGE wings and HUGE feet glided down. He never saw it coming. The wings of this bird wrapped around my dog (who is not small for a chihuahua) couldn't see him for a moment, figured he was dead. Screamed, jumped up and down, ran at the bird, and it startled and flew away. Not a lick of damage done to the dog, but I make sure all my animals are secure at night, and no late night potty runs!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I often hear a sound similar to that in the woods. I figured it was 'some sort of critter' but didn't consider that it might be an owl. COOL!!! Take care of your owl.
I wonder - is there anything that can be done to make it's life a little easier?? You know ... we put out feeders and houses for song birds, plant things for feed and shelter butterflies and hummingbirds ... I dump scraps in the FAR corner of the pasture for the crows (they keep the hawks away).

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a hideous sound. :hide I'm glad he announced his presence before he found your chickens!

@AMKuska , owls' wings are designed to swoop down silently so they can ambush their prey. You certainly wouldn't have heard it coming. So glad your doggie got out of that ordeal unscathed. :hugs

Latest posts