TODAYS PICK

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kind of an update. Last winter I did an entry on here about how I start seeds and I posted some pics of the different steps I take as the plants get large enough to go in my green house or the garden.
I said I would try and keep updating as the season goes along, well here's where I'm at now.
Here is what I'm picking about every other day, a few different tomatoes, the yellow ones were from seed that Hot Pepper Queen sent me.
Lots and lots of green beans, some rhubarb and a couple sprigs of spearmint.
In a few days I won't be able to keep up with the tomatoes, and if the deer hadn't ate a bunch of my beans I wouldn't know what to do with all I'd be picking.
My okra looks like it will start flowering in a week or so...

DSCF2037.JPG

Oh, the large leaves in the background are horse radish I'm growing in buckets on my back deck!!!

THANX RICH

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice haul, Rich! :thumbsup

Are you going to do any canning with the extras?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No canning, I'll freeze some green beans, make some salsa and give most everything else away.
I really just like to see things grow and we only eat at home 3 times a year!!!
Oh, yeah tomorrow is one of those times, so we'll use some beans and maybe some tomatoes but that's about it.

THANX RICH

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of a gardening neighbor I used to have :).

He gave so much of his produce away and to so many people that his son made the joke that he didn't have time to take his car out of gear during all of his delivery stops ;).

I don't know how much his gardening contributed to his own diet but he once won a "neighbor of the year" award.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks so nice. We are Soooo Far behind you. Green beans are only about a foot tall. Tomatoes are just beginning to bloom. Yep, we tend to plant way more than we will eve be able to eat or preserve. That gives us plenty to share with the kids and my MIL and the other ladies in her building. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@dickiebird, you are a little north of me but farther along in your garden! That looks great. Do you remember what date you set your tomatoes out in the garden? I kept expecting a late frost and it didn't happen, so I was a little late in getting mine out.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I set garden in early May.
A bunch of those tomatoes came out of the green house, mostly the smaller ones. The larger Beef Steak and the yellow ones were out of the garden.
Today was one of our eat at home days.
The beans and tomatoes in the above pic were part of our dinner, Along with pork chops, corn on the cob, baked beans and shrimp on the barbie!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts