unrelenting cold and snow, Northeast

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ahhh...did you have to remind me?!? called work about 20 minutes ago and i don't have to go in. :\ well, suppose it is better than last Monday when we got lots of crud, trudged in to work with about 15 minutes to spare and about 30 minutes into working we were told we could leave at 12. was only there for about 2 hours. got home to 1/2 done driveway, my dh, who doesn't work had hit something in the driveway with the snow thrower and it broke. next morning my dad came over to fix it for him and got the rest done.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
almost over.......almost........just need to....get through....one more month!?

most snow storms late March through early May are usually not bad. so don't usually count those months.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm going to start test germinating my onions and leeks next weekend, a sure sign that spring will come someday!

And February 22nd is a family "holiday":
"The day the water starts going downhill".

It was DH's late father's way of saying the sun is finally strong enough to melt the snow. He could see the snow melt running down the street.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Being on the coast we have years with a dusting and years with 100 inches. For some in greater Boston, there was 24 inches in the last 24 hours. No where to put the snow. They have "snow farms" where they haul the snow and put it through a machine to melt it. They used to dump it in the ocean but that is environmentally unsound with the salt mixed into the snow. (I am rolling my eyes too.) Where does the salt go when the snow melts-down the drain. Boston has what is called the out fall pipe. A pipe that goes our 4 miles into the ocean to dump pretreated waste and runoff. There is a big dead zone around it.
We usually have a melt after a good snow but we still have the drifted snow from 2 weeks ago. We got about 6 inches so far and about 8 total is predicted. It is getting harder to say I love the snow. I will play with 2 of my cute grandsons tomorrow so that part will be fun.
I planted lettuce 2 weeks ago and have about 6 different types of 2 inch seedlings. It may be too early but I just had to. I have peppers coming up from last week and planted eggplant today. I am trying to hold off tomatoes because it is way too early. It depends on how much cabin fever I get. I do have 10,000 or so daylily seedlings started and thriving.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
10,000 seedlings ! :ep

I saw the snow melt machines on the news last night @catjac1975, never saw such a thing, I wonder if we have them. Most years the parking lots around here have mountains in them by the end of January. Not much piled up this year, my front yard is down to the leaves, about 8" in the back.

We were basking in the 40's over the weekend! :cool: I almost feel guilty, but I know that 'normal' will return very soon, like I think tomorrow.:tongue Rain, sleet, snow.