Untimely Gift

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My brother and his family were getting ready to leave Nashville to visit us here in MO yesterday, when a colleague of his brought him an unexpected gift--two live Maine lobsters! Well, he knew he couldn't just leave them alive, or dead, for two days, so they hurriedly cooked them and took the meat off/out. He brought it to me, who does not really like seafood all that much. However, I'm too frugal to let it go bad, so today I just made lobster fritters out of about half of it, and stuck the other half in the freezer. I guess lobster freezes OK? I made a bunch of fritters, and froze most of them, too. I fried up a batch for DH. He loved them. I tasted them but couldn't really say they were good. Oh well. :/ Now if it had been a mess of blue gill or bass, that's a different story!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not much of a fan and i live very close to the area where they come from. it does freeze well if you want to save it for later. though the only parts really edible are the claws and tail.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky, I'm surprised you got that much meat out of 2. We are planning on each of us having a lobster tail along with linguini with clam sauce for Christmas lunch. We love lobster. I just broil it with some butter and herbs on top.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmm...I added the meat to mashed potatoes, an egg, etc, to make the fritters. I guess that's where the bulk came in. That was pretty much all the meat there was; two tails, four claws and some other little pieces.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not a lobster fan either. Good thing as the PRICE is way out of my ballpark here in the midwest!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow, we've been at $3.99 a pound (in shell) most of this summer. lately its been about $4.99/lb. when its already out of the shell, now that is a whole another price! how much has it been down that direction?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
wow, we've been at $3.99 a pound (in shell)
$3.99 a pound? Around here it's at least $9.00 and that's for frozen. Wally World used to have live lobster. It ran around $12.99 a pound.

Lucky for me ( er.....um.....Lucky for DH, that is), I've never acquired a taste for the rich life. Rich in soil, rich in literature, rich in finding DH, but the rest of my life is pretty dull and ordinary.

Love, Smart Red

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I buy it when it's on sale for $5 a tail. You can't get full on one, it's more of a snack/appetizer before the meal.

Mary

Latest posts