Venus Fly Trap

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son has a venus fly trap in the tiny little cup it came in. The roots are sticking out the bottom so I believe it needs a new home. He would like to know what sort of soil/pot would be good for a little plant, and how to transplant it without triggering the traps because I guess each fly trap head can only open/close so many times and he wants to avoid stressing it.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although I've never grown those myself, all insectivorous plants need low pH, low fertility soil. There are several mixes posted online, such as a mix of sphagnum moss, sand, and maybe a little garden soil. I don't remember where you are located in the state, but some soils in Washington are naturally low pH. Bog soil is often low pH.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman has it right. acidic, bog fringe materials, sandy and organic materials.

they really do not have that much of a root system from what i've experienced so that must be a very tiny cup indeed.

the traps will not be stressed or triggered as long as the hairs inside the traps are not touched.

i grew venus fly traps in a terrarium as a kid and even got them to flower and set seeds by hand pollinating the flowers. the seeds are like tiny eggplants. :) we went on vacation when i had just sprouted the seeds and had a few dozen tiny plants and left instructions with my sister to make sure they didn't dry out but when we got home the sprouts were bone dry and gone. :(

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman has it right. acidic, bog fringe materials, sandy and organic materials.

they really do not have that much of a root system from what i've experienced so that must be a very tiny cup indeed.

the traps will not be stressed or triggered as long as the hairs inside the traps are not touched.

i grew venus fly traps in a terrarium as a kid and even got them to flower and set seeds by hand pollinating the flowers. the seeds are like tiny eggplants. :) we went on vacation when i had just sprouted the seeds and had a few dozen tiny plants and left instructions with my sister to make sure they didn't dry out but when we got home the sprouts were bone dry and gone. :(

Yes, it's TINY. It's about the size of a medicine cup. The plant is comparatively huge.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to have one of those in the house,,,

they can't freeze and need some good light, make sure the water used is not hard. do not fertilize (read up on them before doing anything is a good idea in general :) ).

Latest posts