Victorian remodel -- beauty or the beast?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the finished front door. I am hoping to get stained or leaded glass even though the glass looks original.
10354156_10202369616311780_2837262833571222709_n.jpg

The front deck is now painted, as are parts of the front windows. Couldn't see this FaceBook photo until I 'shared it here. Yeah!
10441187_10202374827162048_4707093606280087242_n.jpg

The photo colors look much more intense and vibrant than they do in person. Must be the sun?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red I know your son is on a budget. They have stain glass paint kits, You make any pattern you want with the copper strips, then paint with any colors you want. Would be much cheaper and you get to keep original glass. If you do change the glass save it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule, the siding -- if it ever gets on -- will be a close match to the light green on the porch skirt.

@Nyboy, I wish son had a budget! There was a sudden glitch (ask Bay about those) at closing so we drained our savings to buy the house outright. With the downturn in the economy, son hasn't been able to make payments. At least we are unlikely to foreclose on him as a bank would have done by now.

Now to get the house into decent condition, son is budgeting with our credit card. It's NOT my favorite way to re-hab a house. Every house we've gutted and redone was as we could afford each step. Son has no such constraints.

I am sure DIL could and would do the glass painting if she wants it done. I was trying to have son 'trick' her into drawing a tattoo design that I would commission to be used for the lower windows.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think it looks beautiful.

there are some free stained glass designs online and you can get some relatively cheap pattern books through ebay. i have amassed quite a collection of stained glass when we bought our other house. i never really had time to work on the windows for that one before we moved to our older house we have now.

one place i check often for some decent prices on glass: http://www.whittemoredurgin.com/
btw, Spectrum is usually the cheapest brand of glass and can be the easiest to work with.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love it! I would wait to get the real deal for stain glass. We waited for years and finally paid $15,000 to do our bay window that has 8 panels. We just love it and think it's worth every penny. It also added value to our home. The artist made it with our favorite colors and the bevelled glass that I also love.

Mary