What are some must have tools for a farm?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of something to get my husband for Christmas that is both transportable, and appropriate for the life we're heading too. Any thoughts?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Um...shovels, a rake, and a wheel barrow? :) Pretty low tech so far.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whatever you get, go for quality over quantity. Well made tools cost about twice as much but when taken care of can be passed down to your kids.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree with Thistle, if you must buy less and buy quality.

Generator? When electric goes out?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Angle grinder. You can do all sorts of stuff with one, depending on which disk you put on. Good for removing rust, sharpening tools, sanding, prep surfaces for welding, knocking off pointy nails that stick out of stuff, cutting metal...you name it.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@AMKuska - You have received some good advice so far. Especially on buying quality instead of cheap. Sometimes the cheap Chinese stuff makes more work in the end.

I don't know how big your farm is and and how big your dreams are but I would definitely look at medium size tractors. By medium size I mean something in the 25 to 35 horsepower range. In my opinion lawn mowers do not make good tractors no matter what they look like. A good tractor and a few implements are worth a million dollars when the job is waiting to be done and the clock is ticking. New tractors are crazy expensive but a good used tractor can be found at a good price easily.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having moved to 7 new properties ... I could recommend that you buy the tools, etc. at your new location as moving anything that has weight and occupies space, more often than not will cost more to move than what it is worth. This applies to furniture, clothes, etc. too. The last time we moved from central Cal. to SW Washington and when we priced the cost for a commercial move ...:thtotally insane. We priced a rental truck ... out of sight... :ep We gave whatever items to our grown children that they wanted , some to friends, and other than some antiques and some of my wife's clothes ( I only kept what I was wearing, and some specialized tools, and guns) , the rest we donated to Salvation army. My wife drove her car and I rented a covered U-haul trailer a[to tow with my truck. When we arrived in Washington, we bought new things which ended up costing less than hauling our old things here. :clap Good luck ! :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't remember how big your place is or what you are trying to achieve. Not sure what he does either as compared to you. If you are buying for him instead of for both it might help jar some thoughts if you explained some of the things he does.

One of my most used tools is a mattock. It's really handy for digging and clearing brush and such. That's how I usually clear grass out of my garden when it gets out of control. And it's great to dig potatoes or sweet potatoes.

What do you have to cut wood? I'm thinking if a tree branch falls and needs to be cut up or maybe pruning trees. A power saw may come in handy after an ice storm or one of those tree pruners on a long handle for pruning.

A trailer that you can pull. I use a 5' x 8' trailer and pull it with my lawn mower/tractor or sometimes my Forester if I take to the road. I use it to haul light loads around here with the lawn mover/tractor or the Forester to go to the garden center, Tractor Supply or Lowe's for mulch, lumber, fencing, things like that. For me, a trailer is necessary.

I use post hole diggers for several things. To dig post holes, obviously, but when I butcher chickens I often use the post hole diggers to deepen the hole I bury the offal in. I use them to plant tall plants like tomatoes or my zinnias I always wait too long to transplant.

In the workshop a vice comes in real handy. I use it to crack black walnuts, but it securely holds the axe or other tools when I am using a file to sharpen them. When I an hacksawing some metal, I often use the vice to hold it steady. It's something most people won't think about but often comes in handy.

Does he need a storage shed? Extra storage is always handy.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or, perhaps, a gift card to Tractor Supply (or where ever) to be used once you're settled in the new place and know of something that is needed....?