What are these bugs on my gooseberry?

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpg
They're on many branches and slowly killing them

The green triangle bugs are recent visitors .. The originals were the non flying crawlers

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps some kind of lygus or stink bug nymphs?

Have you done anything to get rid of them, @RickF ?

Spinosad may be a good, organic choice.

Steve

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I'll try to treat them as aphids.. I'm assuming the leaf hoppers are there cuz the aphids (or whatever they are) are present...

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see a couple ants, some green stinkbug looking things and creepy black/yellow spiny bugs...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The closest photo I can come up with is lady bug larva. Certainly not an exact match in color, but pretty close in insect shape. Any chance the damage is being done by aphids and these bugs are the good guys going after the bad?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know of few native ladybugs whose larva are not more or less that mostly black with pink/orange highlights, nor of any that spiky. Though ladybug eggs are exported all over the country, and not all of the species used are native to North America (or indeed intentional or beneficial). Colorwise, it looks a little like the larva of Axion plagiatum (the twice-stabbed ladybug) but only a little.

To be honest based on the shape, it almost looks like some kind of frogmouth or spittle bug, just without the foam.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red I thought the same, then decided the lady bug larva would not do the damage. I had not thought about them being there to nosh on bad bugs!

Latest posts