What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have this sneaking suspicion . .

. that those French melons may also be Charentais, @Chickie'sMomaInNH .

This will be my 3rd variety to try and replace Burpee's discontinued Honey Girl Charentais.

Steve
yep! i can't remember if it has a specific name but it is a Charentais. i know the package is a couple years old but never got opened so i thought i would see if they are still good. i have a little bit of about everything in the garden this year.

got more carrots, beets and radishes in yesterday. noticed a batch of radishes are coming up :weee waiting for the carrots to sprout up that i planted around the same time and area.

some of my beans are coming up, but the ones i got from Russ last year i noticed are hit or miss. something already got to one and i noticed it was chopped a few inches above the soil. :rant lucky i saved a few aside in case this happened again.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Over Memotial Day weekend 2014 so far I've planted 4 trees all in 20 gallon pots, 6 lilacs (4 Charles Joy, 2 Ludwig) to create something of a hedge, 2 dapples willow shrubs to help create privacy on the other side of the property on the eavesment where water tends to collect (I swear you can watch them grow!!) 3 flats of annuals, 4 morning glories all in gallon pots, and a dozen transplanted Stella De Oro day lilies for some fast color in the front bed. It's not their permanent home but we needed to get them here and until we blow up the front walk and design the beds there it's a short term solution.

Sad part is I still have my veg garden to plant. The tiller handle needs to be welded up so am waiting for that to e done then I'll get all my veg starts in later this week. I hope to get rhubarb plants in as well (I found a great deal on them so am going to go buy them out I LOVE rhubarb) and plant my pumpkin patch. My pumpkin patch is 3 dozen carving varieties of pumpkins with a few big 'uns in the mix.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am sooooo behind, but, for Father's Day I got recruits to help!!! z(DD's said this should have happened on Mother's Day...) I got mad at some beds that I had tilled and they'd turned hard, SOOO, time to dig the dirt out and replace with mulch!!! I did the bed around the cistern (9' x 12') and both flower beds to the north of my garage, where I planted 49 begonias, 6 violas, 6 primroses and some kind of ground cover.
We used the riding mower and my big tow wagon and dug like miners. Feeling good, kinda sore today and now I have a better view from my kitchen window. :D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started the day telling DH what I wanted to get done. HE started cleaning out a flower bed. . . hey! Come help me here! So we have one more flower bed clean. Took out a mock orange that was NOT as ordered, cleaned the good mock orange, and have quite a few young mock orange babies (with roots) to try growing.

We did get 7 flower beds weeded -- just tiny stuff trying to get a start -- DH weeded my beds and I weeded his. Bad idea, but he started out in my beds. Sadly, my butterfly weed is now down for the second time this spring. This after I showed him the plant that had grown to about a foot tall, discussed how weird the young sprouts looked, and told him to be sure he let it grow.

Think the roots have another sprouting session in them? Sure hope so. I guess I need another "Fort Knox" system to protect the butterfly weed. He also took out a few other small plants -- bleeding heart and lady's mantle, but who's keeping score.

What I wanted to do today? Nada! Perhaps I can get an early start tomorrow.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We did get 7 flower beds weeded -- just tiny stuff trying to get a start -- DH weeded my beds and I weeded his. Bad idea, but he started out in my beds. Sadly, my butterfly weed is now down for the second time this spring. This after I showed him the plant that had grown to about a foot tall, discussed how weird the young sprouts looked, and told him to be sure he let it grow.

Think the roots have another sprouting session in them? Sure hope so. I guess I need another "Fort Knox" system to protect the butterfly weed. He also took out a few other small plants -- bleeding heart and lady's mantle, but who's keeping score.

Ouch! That's rough.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ouch! That's life. I can't tell if it is the residual brain injury from his fall or the onset of Alzheimers, but flowers can always be replaced. I may vent here, but HE is a good man and a keeper of a husband. We're good!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
FINALLY, getting my major beds planted. I'm cheating with many bought plants, BUT I discovered about 1/2 a dozen volunteer cherry tomatoes, about 18 inches tall and wide, each. Tilled up and fluffed and PLANTED the okra bed ( 4' x 13' ) this morning, and I will finish putting in bought annuals, INCLUDING some vinca, in my front and garage beds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweet Williams!

I'm not sure why these biennials get started so late but that's the way I've been doing it for a long time. Canterbury Bells, too!

Got the old Sweet Williams out of the way and I hope that growing them 2 years in the same place will be okay. They'd reproduce by stolens and come back but there would likely be a mess next year and not all of what it would be nice to have in that bed.

Nineties right now and continuing! How are they gonna take this much heat, I don't know but, as I say, they always go out about this time of year. I flooded the bed with water and they were soaked before transplanting.

It might make sense to show you how you can flood a bed that is several inches above the paths:

DSC00963.JPG

The picture was from earlier this year and a different bed but all my beds are "built" like this. It is kind of a combination of a raised bed and a Zuni Waffle Garden. The bed catches sprinkler water better in this shape, also. (Just the other day some lettuce starts went into a bed that looks just like this - except that one gets a lot of shade.)

:) Steve

Latest posts