What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LisaJean said:
The sugar snap peas are going to be planted in a half-barrel that I had morning glories in last year. There are wires leading from the tub up to the drainpipe, for climbing. I figure I can add some horizontal wires to the six vertical ones, and that will suffice for the peas to climb on.

Peas DO climb, right?
Yup, most varieties (and all of the sugar snaps I know of), but you may have some trouble with the half-barrel idea as peas REALLY do not like warmth or, uh, 'dryth' :p In a container their feet will warm up and dry out a whole lot more than in the ground. You'd have better luck putting them in the ground there, no matter whether you want them for a crop or just for pretty.

Just a thought,

Pat, jealous of being able to grow carrots year-round ;)

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nightshade said:
OKay so it wasn't really planting but it was a start. Today it was 52 degrees here and I built a 5x10 bed to grow watermellons in and also set up a wire and post tressis to tie my raspberries to this next sseason. Frankly it was just nice to forget it was January and not spring for a day. :)
Wasn't it! It got into the 60s here today. I had recess duty and the kids were running around without their coats. It smelled earthy like spring and all I could think about was planting!

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
today was "Getting rid of Extra Seeds" day. So I planted:

~sweet corn
~Brown lima beans
~Nutra-Red Corrots
~Ice berg lettuce
~sugar baby watermelon

Rosewood

Sprout
Reaction score
I live in NJ also so I am trying something indoors.
I bought an Ott light for growing and I just tried to sprout some lettuce type seeds to see if the grow lights work.

I have been sprouting lentils for my chickens and they grow great so I got an idea to try to sprout my seeds that I want to grow in the garden. Any one try this before?

:rose

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I live in zone 10 (Puerto Rico) and today i planted some chile peppers and a couple of sweet squash peppers. Friday, I'm planting corn. The area I'm growing the corn in is roughly 400 square feet. I'm hoing it will be adequate for about 100 plants. I used generic chemical fertilizer after tilling the H-E double hockey sticks out of the land and pulling weeds for 4 consecutive days. The area was completely over grown with weeds and tall grass, and now its flat neatly raked rich, soft, moist, brown soil. I'll be watering thuroughly Thursday night, and raking lightly friday morning before i begin planting seeds.

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I re-potted a lot of asiatic, Oriental and various hybrid lilies on my deck. I mix sand, peat moss, and finished compost together to make fresh soil medium. The lilies are doing well, multiplying like crazy and growing large bulbs. I have to repot every year with fresh soil or they aren't happy in their pots. The old soil gets dumped into a raised vegetable bed.
Linda zone ~8 :dance

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just to keep you all up to date, the corn is indeed in the ground, and after that i got bored and planted 30 tomato plants.

Also yesterday my neighbor gave me some iceberg lettuce sprouts that i planted. i've never grown it before but we'll see how it goes.

Next week, pidgeon peas and an herb called Culantro.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just to let you know, dbjay didn't mis-spell cilantro. Culantro is sometimes called Vietnamese or Mexican coriander. It's mostly the fragrance & flavor or it would probably have another name entirely. I had it once but didn't provide Winter protection :(.

Pgeon peas?? What are you doing with pigeon peas?!?

Steve

Latest posts