What Did You Do In The Garden?

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have planted spinach celery beets and I still can't remember what else I got in the ground but I am looking forward to the garden. I did get a bunch of corn planted and bought another blackberry bush. I have decided to get some more rocks (big ones), to make some raised beds with. I'm thinking about making stair-styled beds just to be different.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
After turning the grass sod for the 3rd time in the path between the new 3' and 4' garden beds, I realized that I gotta get some more of this stuff outta here.

It would have made a difference to my thinking if several inches of topsoil had been moved from the path before the grass was piled there – as I did in the path beside the new 5' bed. More soil is falling out of the sod as it dries and it all would be of so much benefit in the beds, not under that grass.

What to do? I put together a 3 foot cube bin ... the dang thing is not in the way of access to the existing garden but only because of that small size. I want it gone by 2025. Can it hold all that sod from those 2 beds? I doubt it. Can I retrofit it to be higher? Sure ... Shucks, I'd be just as happy to throw it over the neighbor's 6' fence to where I once had that garden for 6 or 8 years. Shoulda refused to give it up after my old neighbor died and the new people moved in. Squatter 's Rights, or something like that ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The bin did hold all the sod remaining (after it had been stuffed in 3 other locations :)). I should have said above that directly on the other side of the 6' fence was the location of my compost bin when I had that garden ;).

Planted some potatoes, carrot and beet seed in the newly acquired beds in our yard. Potatoes? Well, it relates to the succession plan noted elsewhere. Asian greens can follow the harvest of early potatoes. Yay!

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have planted spinach celery beets and I still can't remember what else I got in the ground but I am looking forward to the garden. I did get a bunch of corn planted and bought another blackberry bush. I have decided to get some more rocks (big ones), to make some raised beds with. I'm thinking about making stair-styled beds just to be different.
One year, my daughter and I planted a veggie garden without markers and we forgot where everything was. It was a fun surprise watching everything pop up and we were like oh that's where that was!

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One year, my daughter and I planted a veggie garden without markers and we forgot where everything was. It was a fun surprise watching everything pop up and we were like oh that's where that was!
I try to mark everything but sometimes I just decide to toss the seeds and see what comes up. I have squash from last year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be careful if you had pumpkin and zucchini in '23, @akroberts . They are the same species.

The neighbor grew gourds one year. I had my usual mix of pumpkin, Winter and Summer squash. The problem arose the following years as the neighbor and I began using the same tractor guy to till the gardens. We had a number of volunteer Cucurbits which the neighbor allowed to grow. The following year, they were again scattered about in the gardens but that year, many showed up in my Winter squash patch. I had trouble weeding them out and they were totally useless to me.

Always, I wanted varieties of the C. maxima and C. pepo and they cross with others of their same species. Some were of no use and they take up so carn-sarn, much garden space.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I try to mark everything but sometimes I just decide to toss the seeds and see what comes up. I have squash from last year.

i tried to do that years ago with a bare spot since i had a lot of old see packets that i wasn't going to plant in any of the more formal gardens. it was an unfenced area and the critters pretty much ate almost everything that tried to grow other than a few of the beets and turnips that were able to hide somehow.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i tried to do that years ago with a bare spot since i had a lot of old see packets that i wasn't going to plant in any of the more formal gardens. it was an unfenced area and the critters pretty much ate almost everything that tried to grow other than a few of the beets and turnips that were able to hide somehow.
I also like doing so!! We still have several wild corners, can't wait to see some surprise.

Latest posts