What is your 'pure joy'?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
What moments or activities do you find bring you pure happiness?

My newest joy is this-
dune1.jpg

Curious first picture, huh?

dune3.jpg
dune2.jpg
dune4.jpg

If anyone is wondering, no, it's not ~just~ horseback riding...
This happens to be my Hippo, nervous, spooky, sensitive gelding.
He's constantly growing into a far better horse than he was when I first got him a few years ago.

Recently, I've been flinging myself up over his back and just laying there. Like the first picture shows.

Today, I decided to push my luck and sit on him! I lead him in to the dog yard, where there is just a hint of grass left.

Up I went, trying not to shake like a leaf! He ignored me, kept eating his wee bit of grass, slowly taking a few steps here and there for some new grass.

*squeeaa!!!* Boy am I as giddy as a schoolgirl! So happy! :weee:love:bow:celebrate:woot:clap

He is a lot more calm and confidence when he's got a lead on and even upgraded to spooking in his spot and not actually moving an inch! Even when not caught, if he's with me, he will only spook in his skin and not fly off like a chicken.

If only you guys could of seen what he was like before! I don't think I ever really believed I'd ever be able to sit on him, with really no way to control him or not fall off. (((note, there's no saddle...or bit in his mouth)))

After about 8 minutes, I slid off, got the camera, hopped back on and took the pics. Then I slid off again, put the camera away and then hopped on for a few more minutes of awesome! I'm sure there was a giant, stupid grin on my face, too. Maybe I posted that before as well, few months ago, that he would of ran away if he had seen or heard the camera! But I worked with him some about it and now he doesn't mind the flash, weird noises it makes or that it's very shiny.

I'll eventually be asking DH to lead him while I'm up there, in my helmet and protective vest, praying he doesn't buck and if he does, that it's small, a one time thing and that I don't fall off! But for now, I'll keep hopping up there just to sit and enjoy him not bolting, bucking or whatever else a nervous horse might spring up on you!

So that would be my new bit of pure joy and happiness. What is yours?

Attachments

• dune1.jpg
    dune1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 178

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a great accomplishment you've made, gaining ground and building trust. Awesome. :thumbsup

Mine is to go hiking by myself, but it has been a long time. Need more time for myself, just to breathe deeply and hear my own thoughts. It would help me do better with the everyday stuff and stress if I could get that every once in a while.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grandchildren -- spending time with them, guiding their development and building memories.
DH is my precious and abiding deep joy, but the Grands are pure joy.

@secuono, you deserve to feel proud and excited and over-joyed. That trust developing between you is something truly special.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
He was wild caught as a yearling in the Corollas of NC, sold to the lady who also owned my grey mare. She had him 'green broke', but I don't know anything else but that. No idea how much he really was taught, don't know by whom nor when. After that, he sat in pasture doing nothing until I got him as a 5yr old and just as wild and distrusting as any freshly caught horse could be!
Don't think he was abused, just that it's his personality and lack of any real proper socialization.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have obviously won his trust. Jumping on a horses back for the first time is scary for both horse and rider. Being prey animals that must be a lot like having a cougar leap at you. Overcoming that fear because he knows you won't hurt him is huge!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not a horse person, but I do know they are intelligent and intuitive beings. Keep doing what you are doing!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup If that isn't a fantastic example of pure joy, then I don't know what is! Congrats! That is awesome.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Congrats!!!!! I'm very happy for your accomplishment, I am so not a horse person (they scare me a little), so that is not my idea of pure joy. Mine would be waiting for the exact moment, angle, perspective, lighting, and getting that perfect shot.

Latest posts