1. Announcing the new awards/recognition feature - medals!
    Read MORE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. TEG Featured Thread: How do you preserve seeds for next year?
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

4. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

When do I pick my black-eyed peas?

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by Crunchie, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Jul 21, 2008
    Crunchie

Crunchie Chillin' with the herd

I've never grown beans before (aside from snap beans). And I've discovered that I'm completely clueless, now that they seem to be ready to harvest! :lol: I didn't expect them to do so well. I planted a small 2' X 2' raised bed with them, just for the fun of it. About 9 plants. I put them in late in the season, and they were just scrubby, ugly things for quite a while....and then, they took off! They are just gorgeous and overflowing their box. They're blooming and throwing pods everywhere! Many of the pods look full, and I can see the separate beans in each one. I opened one for the fun of it, and the beans are large and look "done", but they are slightly green?

I hope to leave a plant or two to dry for seed next year, but what the heck do I do with these that I want to harvest fresh? :lol: And then, what do I do with them once I pick and shell them? I know that this is a question more suited for the canning/preserving forum, but I didn't want to start two topics--can I freeze the fresh beans, and if so, do I blanch them first? How do I cook them fresh, just boil them as if they were dry (though for a shorter time, of course)?

Sorry, wow, I didn't realize that I was so clueless about fresh beans! It's pretty cool, though. I can't wait to try some different beans next year--I really want to grow black beans, we use them a lot.
  2. Jul 21, 2008
    robbobbin

robbobbin Garden Ornament

This is what I found on Google:

The time from planting to harvest is 70 to 110 days. Pick the pods at whatever stage of maturity you desire -- either young and tender or fully matured to use dried.

Fun Facts about black-eyed peas:

* Cultivated since pre-historic times in China and India, they are related to the mung bean. The ancient Greeks and Romans preferred them to chickpeas.

* Brought to the West Indies from West Africa by slaves, by earliest records in 1674.

* Originally used as food for livestock, they became a staple of the slaves diet. During the Civil War, black-eyed peas (field peas) and corn were thus ignored by Shermans troops. Left behind in the fields, they became important food for the Confederate South.

* In the American South, eating black-eyed peas and greens (such as collards) on New Years Day is considered good luck: the peas symbolize coins and the greens symbolize paper money.

* They are a key ingredient in Hoppin John (peas, rice and pork) and part of African-American soul food.

* Originally called mogette (French for nun). The black eye in the center of the bean (where it attaches to the pod) reminded some of a nuns head attire.
  3. Jul 22, 2008
    Crunchie

Crunchie Chillin' with the herd

Thank you for that info, Robbobbin!

I think I'm ok to pick my pods that are "full". Now, does anybody know how I cook these things? :lol: I've only ever used dried (or canned) beans...