1. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

when to pick kale

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by miron28, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jun 18, 2009
    miron28

miron28 Attractive To Bees

when is kale ready to be picked?
    how do you pick it do i have to pull the leaves off or pull the hole plant up?
    what is the best way? thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Jun 18, 2009
    HiDelight

HiDelight Deeply Rooted

that looks wonderful and I would be cutting now cut all the big outside leaves off and then let it grow more

I cut as I eat until the plant just wears out then I pull them out ..they reseed really well here so I just have a bed dedicated ...I have had the same plants last a couple of years even three years sometimes but they get pretty worn out or the bugs find them then I just take the seed pods and toss them in another bed

kale to me is a perfect green

you can toss the leaves in olive oil salt them and bake them in a hot oven until they are crispy

it makes a great veggie chip
  3. Jun 18, 2009
    wifezilla

wifezilla Deeply Rooted

Cut them anytime. Just leave enough leaves for the plant to keep going.
  4. Jun 19, 2009
    lesa

lesa Garden Addicted

Yes, from the looks of those pics the answer is now!! If you pull the plant, it won't regenerate, if you cut the leaves you need- the plant will keep growing! I love to steam some and squeeze the water out and freeze for soups and stirfry in the winter. Enjoy!
  5. Jun 19, 2009
    lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' with the herd

This is my first attempt in growing Kale so I cant answer your question but I just wanted to say your Kale looks WONDERFUL!!! I cant wait for mine to make it to this stage!!!! :rainbow-sun
  6. Jun 20, 2009
    redhen

redhen Leafing Out

I think you harvest the outer leaves as you need them and leave the inner leaves to keep growing. maybe?
  7. Jun 20, 2009
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Deeply Rooted

I fully agree. Now is the time to start the harvest. Be prepared for kale to produce well as long as it does not burn up or dry out. In case you cannot keep up with the production, to keep kale producing fresh new leaves, you can remove any outside leaves that start to turn yellow and dry up. They are past their prime when they start to turn yellow. Chickens love these or they can go on the compost heap.

To harvest, take a sharp knife and cut the outside leaves near the base of the plant. Leave the smaller inside leaves. Repeat in a few days as necessary.

By the way, the corn looks nice in the background.
  8. Jun 20, 2009
    vfem

vfem Garden Addicted

I completely agree... I would treat them like I do my spinach, and just cut the outer most leaves, leave the inner leaves to keep producing! You end up harvesting fresh for a lot longer then taking the whole plant.

Of course, if this is for you sell as produce, I just cut it with a knife above the root and leave the root in the ground. Later I just turn that with the soil.
  9. Jun 21, 2009
    miron28

miron28 Attractive To Bees

thanks for ALL the help i am going to start picking tonight and this is my first harvest and first garden i have ever grown in my life!! and won't be the last! but i am having a blast !
  10. Jun 21, 2009
    Ron

Ron Chillin' with the herd

Very nice kale! They are one of the most healthful things we can grow in the garden. Like earlier posts said, harvest the outer leaves and they will just keep on producing. I have found they can be harvested rather severely and will keep on going. Here, though, we can only grow them in the fall and winter.