Why can't I grow spinach????

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Baymule, I think I'm north of you (Waco-ish area) but the only time I had any luck with spinach was when I planted it in February. I got a pretty decent crop before it go too hot.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I LOVE spinach and I have NO luck with it! I planted it in Feb this year because it was so warm. I put it in a raised bed up by the house, and kept it covered to keep it from getting too cold. It took FOREVER to sprout - not until March - and now it's bolting! It's Bloomsdale long standing. Should I try another variety, or is there something I'm doing wrong? :rolleyes:
I planted Longstanding Bloomsdale and cant complain seeds where up and out of the ground in about a week and a half and grew well.
They just started to bolt but I did get 4 pickings off the row.
Where you keeping the plant watered well?

Chris

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I had a great crop of spinach this Spring bc I planted it last Fall. We ate on it for two months straight, and each meal had double the amount that they sell in a plastic bag at the grocery store. It is a cool weather crop. You and I are experiencing scorcher temperatures right now, and that just causes spinach to bolt. I pulled out an old 1970's Vegetable growing book and it recommended shade planting for desert and hot conditions. Try planting it now in the shade. Then, try planting it around November, again, and see if it behaves for you. :D

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am in zone 5b and I am reading a book about year round gardening and it is recommended for fall and and early spring growing in this zone. I haven't tried it yet but I have the seeds :tools

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
I am in zone 5b and I am reading a book about year round gardening and it is recommended for fall and and early spring growing in this zone. I haven't tried it yet but I have the seeds :tools
Just a heads-up most of Ohio is either 6a or 6b now. (as of 2012)

Iv' been growing Spring and Fall Spinach for sometime now and always had good luck with fall crop.

7054_oh_1.jpg

Chris

Latest posts