Worlds Most Counterfeited Item Sneakers !!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few years ago my youngest niece called me, this was very unusual she tx never calls. She reminded me her birthday was in 2 weeks and asked if I got her gift yet. When I said no she said she wanted sneakers, I thought great cheap gift and told her ok. She said she would order them, I should have saw a red flag with that. The next day my sister called me and asked if I told her daughter I would get her the Nikes she wanted. I said yes my sister said did she tell you they where $235. I was scamed by a teenager.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that the money made from counterfeiting actually makes up something like 10% of China's annual GDP. THAT'S how deeply entrenched the business is ( I always remember an inadvertent truism that appeared on a Chinese sign due to bad translation "All of our items made with unique and traditional graftmanship.")

Indonesia is pretty bad too, at least in a few of the hobbies I pursue (involving antique glass articles) People have been replicating ancient and antique glass things since time immemorial, but unlike their predecessors, the glass makers of Java have actually managed to put the collecting world into a tizzy by making copies so good they fool even experts. And you have the same casual attitude to it as China ("K. Berata. Antiques made to order.")

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Teenagers really take their sneakers seriously. Was at a b-day party for 2 sisters this past weekend. Oldest sister wanted expensive Under Armor sneakers designed by some basketball player for Golden State. Her mom spent some time explaining to me why the shoes were so cool, pointing out their features.

Saw an article the other day about a young entrepreneur making a killing buying and selling limited edition kicks.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope you didn't get her the sneakers.....

How do you know knock offs as all are made by slave labor?

China and India neither honor patents. Neither do we as we buy their products.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner what glass do you collect ? I used to collect depression glass, it sounds like the glass you collect much older

Glass trade beads, mostly. My specialties are the millefiori beads of Venice (dating as far back as the 1700's, though most date from the 1890's to the 1950's) and the two part usually biconical powder glass beads of the Krobo people of Ghana (invented around the 1980's by Ransford Tetteh, and still made, though at an extremely reduced quantity) There are other types I'd love to get into (Such as the millefiori of Ptolomeic and Alexandian Egypt, and the Kiffa powered glass beads of Mauritania) but those are beyond my price range to take on seriously.

I also have a fairly extensive collection of glass animal figurines but that is largely moribund (I pick up five or six each year from the Glass pavilion at the Holiday fair in Bryant Park, but the days when I used to comb antique shops for pieces are largely over and done)

Actually the millefiori is pretty moribund too. Back when I started, supplies were still pretty plentiful and it was possible (if you knew where) to pick up whole strands for as little as $40. Nowadays even halfway decent single beads tend to go for $5-10 apeice, and anything impressive or unusual and you are looking at double to triple figure prices.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to look up Millefiori beads, can see market being flood from China. Ebay had 3 antique pieces the rest cheap from china. I do like Venetian glass most of it out of my price range.

Latest posts