$1,000 Christmas Tree

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
How tall was the tree? I'm wondering if all of the trees in the lot were overpriced. Guy uses the excuse of the drought. Well we have the drought here and trees are not $1,000!

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a small christmas tree farm right across the street from me.It is only open weekends from Thanksgiving till Christmas eve. When owner first bought,it was a horse farm, horses where a lot of work and money. In order to keep the low farm taxes they went from horses to christmas trees.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Daddy had a Christmas tree farm after he retired. I'd go help him trim and groom his trees in August, then get them ready for sale in November. He enjoyed his trees. My husband bought Christmas trees from my Daddy, sometimes I worked the lot for him, but DH and I didn't meet at the Christmas Tree lot!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i thought at first you spent this on yourself Nyboy!
snapoutofit.gif
good to hear you did no such thing. i could think of other better ways to spend $1k than on a cut tree that will slowly die over the next few weeks. spend it on those shoes you wanted instead! :p

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Almost makes me want to plant a acre of Christmas trees. I know with my luck week before harvesting deer would mutilate trees.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had designers at the wholesale florist where I worked. I mean, more than just the people who put bunches of flowers in a sleeve so that soopermarkets could retail them. A flower shop would call in and say, "we've too many orders and not enough help!" The designers would shift into gear.

I wasn't one of these people but hotels and restaurants would order Christmas trees in December. I would go into action! My technique began where junior high wrestling left off but with no holds barred. The overriding intent was to "get er dun!" Guiding philosophy was my idea that Christmas trees are 3 dimensions and that they shouldn't be draped with ornaments, there should be "depth" to every branch.

One place where this notion came from was that I would be in charge of delivery; no doubt management's idea of assuming responsibility. Decorations "within" the tree were more likely to travel well. You can imagine me fighting a fully decorated Xmas tree out of a van, through doors and into an elevator. I'd arrive in a hotel restaurant with the thing, set it to rights and be on my way!

There were compliments and repeat customers! None of these people knew that the "delivery guy" had put together their Christmas trees.

:) Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's see... my folks bought a 6' tree somewhere around 1967 - probably paid.... $20???
We used that tree every year until somewhere around 1987.
So that works out - with 20 years use - to something like $0.17 a foot???
$20 / 6' = $3.33/foot
$3.33 / 20years = $0.17/foot ?
:lol:

sSp_christmastree[1].gif

Latest posts