15 pounds = 8 quarts

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or rather, 12 pints and 2 quarts of sauerkraut.

6180_sauerkraut.jpg

I layered 15 pounds of shredded cabbage with 9 tablespoons of kosher salt in my fermenting crock. It came close to filling it up. I couldnt work up enough liquid to cover so I added a brine made of 4-1/2 teaspoons of salt to a quart of water to get enough liquid to cover it, then put those stones on top to weight it down.

If you notice the top of the crock is grooved. Fill that groove with water to form an air lock, then put the lid on. Put it out of the way and let it ferment. Watch the water and dont let it evaporate so you maintain the air lock. Thats all the maintenance you need to do. No skimming. How easy can it get?

6180_fermenting_crock.jpg

I dont have a place cool enough to make real good sauerkraut. I keep it in my attached garage which is too warm. This is milder than Id really like but its the best I can do.

I let it ferment for 8 weeks then processed 12 pints so it will keep and put two quarts in the fridge to eat on.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might want to try Kraut soup. Even those that don't like kraut, like this soup.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look terrific Ridge! :thumbsup
I have had an interest in making kraut, my husband loves it, but I haven't grown cabbage for the last few years, and then the crock thing has sort of been a mental stumbling block. I know you don't have to use a genuine fermenting crock, and those seem to be unrealistically pricey. Perhaps next year I will finally get it together and try it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a old fella down the street that makes his sauerkraut simply by placing salt in the bottom of a quart jar, packing it tightly with shred cabbage, covering with boiling water. Adding lids and bands. Wrapping in black plastic and setting out in the sunshine against the south side of his white garage. Claims it is WONDERFUL , easy and no fail! I have never give it a try. Sounds worth a one jar experiment.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We just eat it cold, out of the fridge, like a condiment or relish. We eat a little with every heavy or fatty meal we have, like tonight, when we are having BBQ pork steaks. I mixed some in with some rather bland stir fry we had the other evening. Helped it quite a bit!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also eat it out of the fridge as a cold condiment. It makes lunch better. For a meal main course Ill cook it with apple slices and smoked sausage.

Thats strange, Carol. The recommendation is keep it cool, not hot. Still, its worth a try for a one jar experiment.

Thistle, a couple of years ago I made kraut in a gallon translucent plastic container. Mixed the cabbage and salt and covered it with a zip-loc full of water to hold the stuff down under the liquid level. I had to skim the white stuff (mold) off the top every few days. The problem was the plastic was translucent. It let in some light. The kraut was really dark, not creamy white. It tasted fine though.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I also eat it out of the fridge as a cold condiment. It makes lunch better. For a meal main course Ill cook it with apple slices and smoked sausage.

Thats strange, Carol. The recommendation is keep it cool, not hot. Still, its worth a try for a one jar experiment.

Thistle, a couple of years ago I made kraut in a gallon translucent plastic container. Mixed the cabbage and salt and covered it with a zip-loc full of water to hold the stuff down under the liquid level. I had to skim the white stuff (mold) off the top every few days. The problem was the plastic was translucent. It let in some light. The kraut was really dark, not creamy white. It tasted fine though.
I did the same thing with plastic container. Except I did it in a dark basement so I got the white kraut.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dewdropsinwv said:
:ep 8 weeks!!!!! WOW thats a long time. I only eat krout on new years eve.
Ah! We did that where i grew up in Pennsylvania, i didnt know how widespread this tradition was. Everyone says its for good luck during the year. It was delicious, a huge crock pot or stock pot of it, slow cooked with pulled pork and/or sausage, served with mashed potatoes, sometimes buns to make a sandwich.

Latest posts