1st harvest of 2016...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
this evening we are having chicken with roasted beets and carrots plus a small salad.....
DSC_0004.JPG

covered the beds a few of the heads of lettuce did receive a little frost bite this morning...
DSC_0010.JPG

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's just lovely...simply lovely! I think that should be entered into the POW thread. Makes my mouth water just looking at it all! :drool

Major, you had inspired me to add some carroty color in my garden this year, so I ordered Cosmic Purple and Atomic Red varieties from Pine Tree. I've already got simple orange varieties on hand, but the other colors will give us more colors in our garden rainbow.

Do the other colors taste differently or do they pretty much all taste like carrots?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's just lovely...simply lovely! I think that should be entered into the POW thread. Makes my mouth water just looking at it all! :drool

Major, you had inspired me to add some carroty color in my garden this year, so I ordered Cosmic Purple and Atomic Red varieties from Pine Tree. I've already got simple orange varieties on hand, but the other colors will give us more colors in our garden rainbow.

Do the other colors taste differently or do they pretty much all taste like carrots
?
they all taste like carrot, jmho colored and reg carrots have a off taste and woody when grown during the spring/summer. but when planted for fall/winter they have a crisp sweet taste to them. will be doing much more planting of them in the fall still will be planting some this spring the colored ones make a great carrot raisin salad or sauteed, it doesn't matter spring or fall seeing the 4 colors on the dinner plate is very nice..
one thing we learned is if your saute the carrots the purple one bleeds, so you have to do them separately and add them at the last minute.

of course roasted carrots and beets are out of this world.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't notice any limits on size or production for white beets. The storage beets were not what I was going for but after they came up in the spring and I decided I'd planted my Perpetual Spinach finally and I was supposed to wait to harvest in mid-summer - what was I to do o_O?

Aversion to bleeding red beets is sorta balanced by the whites that are really somewhat gray when cooked but DW is so ... offended ... scared ... of beet juice, she never joins me in eating the entire plants when they are small.

Now, I've got it: cream of beet soup with mustard, using white beets ...

I'll be giving some thought to white carrots instead of parsnips ... or ... with parsnips! Sauteed together, they should be kind of fun. "What's that?" "Parsnip!" "No, it's a carrot!" "Fooled me!"

Steve ;)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
now i'm wishing i started my fall carrots when i thought of it in September. with this weird warm fall i probably would have had some to harvest by now. Major, everything looks wonderful in & out of your garden. this year i want to do some raised beds.

Latest posts