2 more compost bins

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday was a beautiful day so sis and I took advantage of it and made two more composters! The two bins on the left are not quite finished - they turned cold so we added nitrogen to get them cooking again so they can be added to the veggie garden and the new flower beds next month.

We had a lecture in the Master Gardener class on thrusday about soils and composting, so that got us in gear to finish them. The class is very fast paced, but we are having a great time. We've met so many great people! So far we've covered botany and soils - this week will be fruit trees.

4898_compost_006.jpg

4898_compost_007.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
What form of nitrogen did y'all use Mayaam?

Some fish emulsion would be great, as would a good manure, and some form of kelp would add good usable trace minerals, and Mayaam, now may be a good time to stir in some mycorhizae and other beneficial microbes. Say howdy to sis!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
What form of nitrogen did y'all use Mayaam? Some fish emulsion would be great, as would a good manure, and some form of kelp would add good usable trace minerals, and Mayaam, now may be a good time to stir in some mycorhizae and other beneficial microbes. Say howdy to sis!
OK buddy, now you did it. You have to 'splain what mycorhizar is to us old time farmers. Also what would be "other beneficial microbes"? :rolleyes:

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They look great! We're going to add a couple of these to our "set up" this year as well...once "planting" season is over.

The classes sound wonderful...I'd love to find something similar around here :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles!

Mycorhizae are defined in the Official Phylogynological Taxamonium as:

"A person's personal microscopic core elements of etherial nature."

The "Californians Manual of Rainbow Gardening" speaks of the useful and symbiotic probiotic relationships of organisms to co habitate with all fellow living beings in a most positive and mutually fulfilling manner, and stresses the importance of helping those organisms that are helpful to us without asking, to multiply, live, love, and enjoy their existences. The tyedyed and multifloriferous nature of these complex relations, always innately correlated in and within one's internal nature is expressed for the true gardener who nourishes planetary life as a whole as an abiding love for the soil.

Outwardly, and most coarsely mundane, and also most importantly phased as a natural course, is the gardener's nurturing of her soil. By nurturing her soil with true love and the proper manure, this multifaceted complexity manifested to our organic senses, (a means for the universe to sense and to understand its own self as an entirety), is a most beautiful web.

Naturally one must speak and discourse what it means to understand that the universe as an entirety can and does have self understanding. For this is one of the developments of the Rainbow Gardener.

>>>ha :) I just thought of that stuff...stuck it in for funning!

Mycorhizae is the fancy scientific name for funguses. Funguses, they like to plural the latin way: Fungi, are more than just mushrooms and toadstools. Most kinds live in the soil invisible to the naked eye. Ever notice that real good soil has an almost mushroom kind of smell? That's all the mycorhizae in it. They make long strands of cells. What they feed on gets all processed in their cells, and then when those mycorhizae cells die, the nutrients are available for plant roots.
They help in other ways too that an expert would need to talk about.

Other microbiologicals are actual soil bacterias. They are all good, and I don't know how they do their good, but they do good.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like some good stuff you have there, Joan. I've been wanting to make one like that out of pallets, if my hubby will give up his for me. :D Mine is just piled up and out of control.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my God Marshall, I have no idea what you just said! we used chicken poop and hay. I have no idea if the hay will work, but that is what our instructor used when be built our compost heap at the MG class. I also added some of my "almost finished " compost to the new piles and shredded leaves and watered in.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern, on a more serious note, ask your MG instructors about

1. Soil Microbes
2. Mycorhizae, microscopic fungi
3. Beneficial soil bacteria

in relation to
1. the health of soil
2. the devbelopment of compost
3. specific kinds for specific plants
For instance, Calypso Orchids will soon die without a certain forest soil fungus that are linked to Firs, redwoods, and oaks.
Snowflower is another one even more dependent on it to completely tie it to the trees. Snowflowers have no Chlorophyl.
Legumes have an excellent relationship with certain soil bacterias that benefit both the plant and the bacterias.
The list has thousands and thousands on it.

For compost, usually enough microbes are brought in from adding natural soil and manures.

Latest posts