2013 Garlic harvest...:)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
ridgerunner, you know a lot more about the difference between hard and softneck than I do lol. I only know the gardener I bought it from told me it was hard neck. I need to get to her house sooner this year so We have more variety to choose from...:)

Thistle, I am not an expert on garlic by any means. I only know two things about cooking with garlic, to much or not enough lol.
This garlic type does not seem to be all that strong tasting so you can use more without ruining your dish...:)

Chickiesmama, I pulled ours last weekend and just shook the dirt off and put it on the drying for a week. Then I just cleaned it up a little and braided it. Garlic mashed potatoes omg...:)

Baymule, it looked just like normal garlic until I braided it lol. The lady on the You Tube video called it a fishtail braid, she said it is how you braid hard neck garlic. I had to take the first couple braids apart until I learned the proper braiding tension and bulb placement. DW has already hung up a braid by the sink and the rest I hung up in the food room for later use.
I to am always impressed with everybody's gardening , and food preservation talents on TEG...:)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
You managed to braid hardneck. You're doing OK. Correction, you grew it then braided it. You're really doing OK. Now it's time to enjoy it.
Thanks, The braiding was easy to pickup, making it look right was more challenging though. It took a few tries to get it right, luckily I picked it up before the garlic was wore completly out lol. The lady on the video said you could braid 7 or 9 bulbs at a time, I found 7 was best for me. We need to get to the garlic gardeners place sooner this year so we can have a better selection of garlics to choose from, last year we were way late German red was all that was left.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your garlic looks great! It reminds me of a time years ago when I used to go to Mexico pretty often. There would be garlic vendors in the streets with dozens of braids hanging from their carts.

Latest posts