2015 seeds of hope thread

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good suggestion to start a thread of how we can make a difference. I guess I'll start only because it's a recent activity.

Last Wednesday DH and I went had supper out. That means cheap and fast as opposed to going out for supper. We stopped at DQ and shared a meal. There was an older man sitting at a booth with a sign reading "to Cincinnati, Ohio".

It looked as if he'd been sitting there for a while before we came and I could see the young workers discussing how to get him to leave.

Without waiting for DH to finish his "Don't you dare!" I went over and asked if the man had a warm meal today. He said he'd eaten breakfast. I asked if he would like something warm to eat before he left and told him to order whatever he wanted at the counter.

I left the counter girl with a ten dollar bill, told her to give the man whatever he requested and keep the change for herself. As we were leaving, I wished him godspeed and good luck on his journey as soon as he finishes his meal.

I also told the workers that I had emphasized "a good meal before you leave" so they could comfortably ask him to move on when he finished. Happy, happy and happy all around.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mom is in assisted living. She lived with us for almost 3 years after having a stroke. She gave us her car, a 2008 Buick with 30,000 miles, darn nigh new! Our daughter is expecting in February and was driving a 2 door car, not suitable for getting a baby in and out of the backseat. Our son in law called us and asked to buy our car, a 2007 Dodge Caliber. They had a buyer for their 2 door car and would basically trade money. Well, ya'll know what we did-we gave them our car. They said they would use the money from selling their car to pay off some bills. Then their sale fell through on the 2 door car. :(

In the mean time, the music director at their church was driving from Tyler to Houston twice a week to see his dying father in the hospital. He was driving a 1983 car with several hundred thousand miles on it. So our DD and DSIL gave him and his family their car, a 2008 model Saturn.

So all this car trading wound up in a not so well off family, back from living overseas as missionaries, getting a blessing of the newest model car they have ever had. ;)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not nearly as grand..
I have a good friend - the one who has taught me to use the canner. They have been in a pretty tight financial situation for a while and I wanted to help but she was reluntant to let me give them anything.
We were out a few Saturdays ago and stopped by her feed store - a little 'mom&pop' place in the middle of no where. We had a nice visit with the lady who runs it and went on our way. Last week I was low on feed and made a special trip to that feed store. The lady behind the counter recognized me, and after a little chat, I paid for an extra bag of dog and chicken feed. They'll be waiting for my friend the next time she comes in.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that fun? We had a well meaning lady come in and buy a groom for a dog she was pet sitting. She thought the dog was going without grooming because his hair was so long. The dog is actually groomed every two weeks like clockwork because she likes the dog long, and works hard to keep it that way. Still, what a lovely gesture!

Latest posts