2017 TIME TO START MY PLANTS

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year I started most everything too early and the plants got too gangly.
So this year I made Jan 1 my "go to" date, we'll see how that works out.
So far I have my potting bench cleaned off and a tray of plugs soaking, by this evening I should be able to sow some seeds!!!

THANX RICH

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
keep my little trowel out in the green onions , they have some wicked roots..
DSC_0007.JPG

it's 3 months before i even think about it....

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
& here i'm just starting to organize my tomato seeds! i'm nowhere near ready to think about starting them for a couple months.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My plants always seem to get stunted if I start them too early. Don't have room to continue potting up. So I'll just wait. We'll enjoy seeing pics of yours though, dickiebird.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gosh I haven't even put my bean seed away yet, I guess I'd better get the lead out. I think it's because we're really getting a winter this year and being out in the garden is the last thing on my mind. Just faint traces of snow now but the ground is frozen solid, I'm sure we'll get another dump or two before this winter is over.

Just looked at my greenhouse thermometer, it's registering 38ºF and this is with the heat on. So different from last year when the only cold spell was a week or two in November and then mild, mild, mild after that, maybe we'll actually get 4 distinct seasons this year.

Annette

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Isn't it funny how we are all ready to start gardening this year! :clap for your efforts!
I have a 2nd chance to put together my homespun cold frame with the thaw and recent rains. Don't have the skills, or time (after work and animal care) to build a proper one, so I'm hijacking my 3' x 6' "salad garden" instead. The surrounding wood needs replacing this Spring, but it still holds. I have metal fence posts at the corners to help support and wood from other beds that also are on their last legs, to be cut to fit. MY plan is to take an hour to dig out and remove the top 12 inches or so 25 ft. south to the rest of the garden. This will create a big hole for fresh manure for heat, end of next month (thanks to my 3 horses) when I plant lettuce starts and stuff early in it. I plan to nail it the rest of the wood to build it higher than 8 inches above ground to accommodate mulch. I plan to cover it with plastic to keep out the weather. When I plant I have many old windows doin' NOTHIN' ready and waiting. We'll see how it goes.. If it works I'll be able to move out my tomato and pepper seedings early, too, during the "cold season crop" time. I have a lot of land and all tomatoes are going along the fence by the road, which is also be replaced end of 2017.
My resolution for this year? Stick to my plans! In hindsight my plans have been better than the trust I put into them, judging by how I fixed the pond in front of my horse shelter, when too many naysayers said it wouldn't work!!! (DH and my local help, who MOVED the sand and gravel for me believed in my plan, btw.)
So, go for it!

Latest posts