2019 Seed Exchange

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Posted in a different location and just now seeing there is a proper exchange forum!

Long story short, I prefer planting a variety of different seeds and treating each new one as an edible experiment. I live in suburban Michigan and don't have a whole lot of gardening area like some on TEG. So here's a list of the seeds I currently have (and am willing to share and/or exchange) for the upcoming season:

-Tomato: Fourth of July Hybrid, Tasty Treat, Cherokee Purple, Land Race Currant, Tiny Tim, Tigerella, Japanese Black Trifle, Tommy Toe
-Bean: Stringless Green, Tenderette, Black Valentine
-Pea: Sugar Daddy, Oregon Giant
-Pepper: Hot Salsa Blend, Golden Cal Wonder
-Cucumber: Picklebush, Muncher
-Carrot: Scarlet Nantes
-Watermelon: Congo
-Sweet Corn: Triple Crown Hybrid
-Zucchini: Fordhook
-Cantaloupe: Honey Rock
-RARE Kiwano (Jelly Melon)
-RARE Petite Snap Greens
-RARE Black Cherry Russian Tomato
-RARE Venus Fly Trap

I'm open to any and all exchanges. Feel free to ask about more info! I welcome and encourage anyone to add on to this thread and list seeds they're willing/looking to exchange. Happy Planting!

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was also excited to find the dedicatedly exchange forum, but it’s quite dead. I actually came to this site in a really round about way looking for a seed exchange. I had been introduced way back in 2003ish by a friend’s mother to a seed exchange site and had an amazing year getting and growing lots of flower seeds SASE from members. I was looking for the same forum and found out they’d been bought by Houzz. Totally weird. Like a home goods website has a garden forum? But the forum was so hard to use I couldn’t stand it. So I did some digging and someone on there was pointing people here as an alternative. So here I came. Found a great community and fairly active board. But not much exchange wise. Most of the trades I’ve seen are kind of in regular threads. Someone mentions they want something, someone has it, then they take it to PM.

I’d love to trade with you but it’s too late for me. I’m waiting for the rest of my ordered seeds to come in and then it’s time (or past time) to get planting. But I’ll be on the market for new varieties next winter once the harvest is in. Best of luck!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm happy to have people come dig things up from here if they want some plants or flowers aside from exchanging seeds in the mail. i don't always have the time or energy myself to divide plants in each garden each year. not with this many gardens and me wanting to do other things besides...

i have in the past collected a lot of seeds and kept them from almost every flowering plant here that would give seeds to harvest. nobody wanted them so i stopped and scattered them around in the bare spots to see what would come up.

now i just collect beans, peas and a few other things that i know i'll use.

garlic, yellow/orange cosmos and golden annual flax were popular enough at the seed swap that i'll renew my supply this season of those so i have enough for next year.

p.s. watch for the Network Bean thread (or have fun reading the past ones :) )...

Last edited:

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was also excited to find the dedicatedly exchange forum, but it’s quite dead. I actually came to this site in a really round about way looking for a seed exchange. I had been introduced way back in 2003ish by a friend’s mother to a seed exchange site and had an amazing year getting and growing lots of flower seeds SASE from members. I was looking for the same forum and found out they’d been bought by Houzz. Totally weird. Like a home goods website has a garden forum? But the forum was so hard to use I couldn’t stand it. So I did some digging and someone on there was pointing people here as an alternative. So here I came. Found a great community and fairly active board. But not much exchange wise. Most of the trades I’ve seen are kind of in regular threads. Someone mentions they want something, someone has it, then they take it to PM.

I’d love to trade with you but it’s too late for me. I’m waiting for the rest of my ordered seeds to come in and then it’s time (or past time) to get planting. But I’ll be on the market for new varieties next winter once the harvest is in. Best of luck!

Yeah that makes sense that it's a bit too late for most people, even including us way up in the north. Let's see if we can bring it back to life over the end of fall/winter if you're interested. I've browsed around some other exchange websites I've seen pop up in different threads. I would just prefer to have an all-in-one forum like TEG that I use almost exclusively for anything gardening. You know it's pretty dead when the pinned thread is from 2009 :idunno. Ahh well, we'll see what we can manage over the next year or so. Thanks for the interest at least!

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i'm happy to have people come dig things up from here if they want some plants or flowers aside from exchanging seeds in the mail. i don't always have the time or energy myself to divide plants in each garden each year. not with this many gardens and me wanting to do other things besides...

i have in the past collected a lot of seeds and kept them from almost every flowering plant here that would give seeds to harvest. nobody wanted them so i stopped and scattered them around in the bare spots to see what would come up.

now i just collect beans, peas and a few other things that i know i'll use.

garlic, yellow/orange cosmos and golden annual flax were popular enough at the seed swap that i'll renew my supply this season of those so i have enough for next year.

p.s. watch for the Network Bean thread (or have fun reading the past ones :) )...

Yeah I wouldn't expect that some of you folks with a whole bunch of property would be interested in something like this necessarily. Awesome if you are though!

Like you mentioned before, flowerbug, I have to find a local seed exchange event. Seems like a great time and always fun interacting with fellow gardeners. This will be my first season growing any beans and peas (mainly had tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers last season). I'll default to you if I have any questions regarding either :bow. I'll keep an eye on anything you post really as a fellow Michigander.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't expect that some of you folks with a whole bunch of property would be interested in something like this necessarily. Awesome if you are though!

Like you mentioned before, flowerbug, I have to find a local seed exchange event. Seems like a great time and always fun interacting with fellow gardeners. This will be my first season growing any beans and peas (mainly had tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers last season). I'll default to you if I have any questions regarding either :bow. I'll keep an eye on anything you post really as a fellow Michigander.

peas can usually go in a little earlier than the beans. i would like to grow more peas but the groundhogs and rabbits have other ideas some years. we'll see what happens this year.

beans, there are a lot of bean growers in TEG and i am certainly not the best of them by far.

i've not heard of any other seed exchange meetings in MI. if i do hear of anything i'll PM you or post it in the forum.

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
peas can usually go in a little earlier than the beans. i would like to grow more peas but the groundhogs and rabbits have other ideas some years. we'll see what happens this year.

beans, there are a lot of bean growers in TEG and i am certainly not the best of them by far.

i've not heard of any other seed exchange meetings in MI. if i do hear of anything i'll PM you or post it in the forum.

Does that mean I missed the jump on my beans/peas? I actually haven't started anything and was planning to next week. First frost around me says about the 1st-2nd week of May. I imagine it's fairly similar for you unless you're a little bit further NW of me.

Yes, please keep me posted on any other exchanges you see (preferably in SE MI). I'm not sure if you've ever heard of Eastern Market over in Detroit. I think I mentioned it to you on a separate occasion too. It's a big, old-fashioned market I've been to a few times for different events. That'll be where I keep an eye out at. I've been to a Summer Book Fair and a Foodie event and both were very fun.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does that mean I missed the jump on my beans/peas? I actually haven't started anything and was planning to next week. First frost around me says about the 1st-2nd week of May. I imagine it's fairly similar for you unless you're a little bit further NW of me.

Yes, please keep me posted on any other exchanges you see (preferably in SE MI). I'm not sure if you've ever heard of Eastern Market over in Detroit. I think I mentioned it to you on a separate occasion too. It's a big, old-fashioned market I've been to a few times for different events. That'll be where I keep an eye out at. I've been to a Summer Book Fair and a Foodie event and both were very fun.

peas can go in earlier than beans.

i won't be planting beans until towards the middle and end of May. they like warmer soil than peas to get really going. some of them will not sprout in cold weather at all. for someone just starting out with beans i would say you can plant them the end of May to be on the safe side and that should work. once you get more experience and have extra seeds to risk you can try some a week or two earlier. succession planting is also nice for green and wax beans to keep a heavy crop available if you have the space (but i don't think you have that much space). some of my earliest bean crops will be done in 70-80days for dry beans (50-60 for pods and in between that range for shellies).

peas like it cooler than beans so can be planted earlier and will mature by the time the summer gets hot. then towards the middle-end of August you can start some more and hope to have a long enough second season to get a 2nd crop. 45-60 days for fresh peas and pods and then a few more weeks for the dry peas.

with our sometimes heavy later summer or early fall rains i'll bring in peas/beans to dry inside to keep them from rotting. spreading them one layer on cardboard box tops and making sure to move them to make sure they don't get fungi going on them.

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense that it's a bit too late for most people, even including us way up in the north. Let's see if we can bring it back to life over the end of fall/winter if you're interested. I've browsed around some other exchange websites I've seen pop up in different threads. I would just prefer to have an all-in-one forum like TEG that I use almost exclusively for anything gardening. You know it's pretty dead when the pinned thread is from 2009 :idunno. Ahh well, we'll see what we can manage over the next year or so. Thanks for the interest at least!

Absolutely interested come fall and winter!