3 Years Yucca

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
no change in size or flowers in 3 years. looks healthy.
DSCF0179.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty, can not say I have ever seen a variegated one. Even if it never blooms, it is interesting enough to leave in my book.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never saw that color. It is pretty. Mine are just plain green. I moved mine out of yard into a barren gravel/sand area. They are thriving there.

Pinusresinosa

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It looks like Yucca Color Guard a little bit. I love them all personally, but the color is indeed a standout. I agree- even if you don't get spikes of blooms, the color, shape, and texture of the foliage alone is wonderful.

Back in the day I was surprised to learn that such a desert-esque plant is hardy throughout most of the country- even in Minnesota! Those spots where the soil is impossible to keep cool and moist, where there might be slightly too many rocks- like that spot where all that pineapple weed sprouts, is where a yucca would be happy.

I think I can tell by the plants growing around your yucca there that it's in at least partial shade. It may bloom better if it gets more sun if you're so inclined.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see two long rows of these, green, at a random house going into town. They have been the same size, never flowered, for thenlast 4yrs.

I have 2 green ones, one I got last fall that looked cruddy, but it made it through winter and its grown. Bought another this spring, its grown, too. No flowers. I add liquid fertilizer to them 1x every 6wks or so. I'm terrible at fertilizing, always forget....

I thought I read somewhere that they don't flower often.

There is another house with a yucca, it's 3ft in size and flowers.

Possible it's the variety that affects growth and flowering?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The friend I got divisions from said that they can take a while to get established. Hers were huge, great big flowers, 4-5 feet tall. Not positive, but I think Adam's Needle.

I had them in well draining soil, full sun, 8 YEARS! They may as well been rubber, no growth, no bloom. I finally dug them up, moved one to a different bed and gave one to my son to plant at his house. His grew about a foot the first year, the second year it bloomed!

This Spring, mine was dead, I think it drowned... but at least it's out of it's misery.:D

Latest posts