30+ year old apple tree dying...

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Our apple tree dies a little more each year. Its now down to 1/2 what it was 2 years ago. It doesnt look in any way injured or diseased, just looks like half if it isnt waking up in the spring... Last year we didnt gey any apples because all the blossoms froze off. This might me our last year with it. I want to find out what kid of apple it is... but DH says its been around since he was a baby and no one knows what kind it is. How do I find out this info for a replacement/companion tree?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, I never thought of that but yes you're right, we have a HUGE apple industry here and MN has developed quite a few delicious varieties!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Either learn to graft, or find someone who's good at it. And then you can graft some branches onto other mature apple trees, and/or graft some onto rootstock to make new trees that are "all" this variety.

That's more reliable than trying to figure out what variety it is :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh wow, well we dont have any other apple trees on the whole property so I dont think we can graft... I never thought about root stock tho...

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

This site might help you with getting it back into production -- go to point 4.
I found it very useful on some apple trees planted in 1930 -- they are now producing again.

http://www.weekendgardener.net/how-to/prune-apple-trees.htm

Here in the UK we have an organisation where you can send samples of apples& leaves & they will try to tell you the variety. They will also graft a new plant for you -- none of this is cheap, of course, but many old varieties have been saved this way.

Good luck & I hope your tree recovers as mine did. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts