3rd crop of yellow squash

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
small yelllow quash.jpg
I planted a third crop of yellow squash around Aug. 1st. This is what I got out of my 5 lush looking plants. Tomorrow they will likely be gone with our first frost predicted. Planting a few weeks earlier would have been more successful. Boy was it not worth it. But having them for dinner.....boy was it worth it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My squash succumbed to borers, heat, squash bugs, heat, heat, and they died. I succumbed to heat, more heat and I didn't clean up the vines. They cross pollinated, went to seed and no, I didn't pull those last monsters so they died too. My lazy ways were rewarded with volunteer squash. We had one tonight, a fat green thing with yellow speckles. It was so worth it to not give a cotton picking durn about dead vines......:lol:

Late season squash is almost better than the first squash of the season. Even if you lose them tonight to frost, at least you had a good supper tonight!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
some fresh produce is always better than none and those look
pretty good to me. :)

i've yet to be too concerned about borers in the squash we grow.
yes they kill some of the vines, but not all of them. kinda with
the philosophy that only that which survives is worth growing.
the vines are always huge by the end of summer/fall and the stem
can be 3-4 inches across at the base. i just bury it all and let
nature/worms sort it out. but we do somewhat rotate plant so
the bugs have a bit of a challenge from year to year.

we just cooked up the first squash of this season (the ones that had
fungi marks or were slightly damaged) a few nights ago. yum! squash
is one of my favorite foods. they were so good they didn't need butter
or anything else on 'em. the rest we'll eat over the next few months.

with our weather being very dry that last half of the summer i'm
expecting them to be very sweet and perhaps spoil sooner so we
have to keep an eye on them.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My squash succumbed to borers, heat, squash bugs, heat, heat, and they died. I succumbed to heat, more heat and I didn't clean up the vines. They cross pollinated, went to seed and no, I didn't pull those last monsters so they died too. My lazy ways were rewarded with volunteer squash. We had one tonight, a fat green thing with yellow speckles. It was so worth it to not give a cotton picking durn about dead vines......:lol:

Late season squash is almost better than the first squash of the season. Even if you lose them tonight to frost, at least you had a good supper tonight!
I knew only TEG'ers would appreciate.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really enjoy growing summer squash even if it's winter squash that I could just about happily live on! Summer squashes are fruit, tender and glossy.

The Sticks of Butter that I had in my 2nd planting (1st week of July) were just so lightening fast that they brought added delight. Aug 18, 2017. Right at 6 weeks from planting out :). That was infinitely better than the Garden Spineless that did next to nothing, even at double that time.

It also felt like they were about 10 days quicker than any other variety choice I have ever had for that time of year.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Spineless Beauty squash is starting to produce but they sure are growing slowly. I don't know why. I've been watering them and it's been pretty warm here. Maybe it's the day lenght?

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really enjoy growing summer squash even if it's winter squash that I could just about happily live on! Summer squashes are fruit, tender and glossy.

The Sticks of Butter that I had in my 2nd planting (1st week of July) were just so lightening fast that they brought added delight. Aug 18, 2017. Right at 6 weeks from planting out :). That was infinitely better than the Garden Spineless that did next to nothing, even at double that time.

It also felt like they were about 10 days quicker than any other variety choice I have ever had for that time of year.

Steve
I will look into that.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="digitS', post: 303913, member: 122"

Steve[/QUOTE]

Is it Sticks of Butter or Cubes of Butter? I can't find Sticks of Butter. I have been growing Cubes of Butter for a couple of years. I buy the seeds at Ace Hardware, Botanical Interests.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We still have not had a frost. My squash looks as fresh and bug/disease free as in early summer. They are slow to produce but I think a will have 4 or more for dinner tomorrow night. I am liking this very late planting. I have done it in the past with green beans-had planned to but did not get to it. I remember having them in November one year with just bit of row cover over them at night.. If you don't think this is unusual -we used to have frost the 2nd or 3rd week of September.

Latest posts