4x4 suv

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
im looking for some input on suv 4x4 such as a jeep grand cherokee toyota highlander...etc

looking to retire big red... so looking for a suv 2016-18 v-6 nothing low to the ground something thats going to be comfortable to sit in for hours, dependable, something that will last..... you get my drift

so do you own a suv that you happy with or know someone who's pleased
would love to hear your thoughts pros and cons....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure about the newer ones, the older, first gen Jeep Cherokees were very good, but in later years they were just big ol' lemons.

Never heard anything bad about the Highlanders, though. Good looking vehicles, those.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
All I can say is the ford expedition we had was a disaster. The suspension gave out (and does so frequently on that style) it ate tons of gas, and was generally awful.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure about the newer ones, the older, first gen Jeep Cherokees were very good, but in later years they were just big ol' lemons.

Never heard anything bad about the Highlanders, though. Good looking vehicles, those.

was using them as examples of what im looking for.....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
All I can say is the ford expedition we had was a disaster. The suspension gave out (and does so frequently on that style) it ate tons of gas, and was generally awful.

expedition way to big....

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a Grand Cherokee with a straight 6 cyl with about 215000mi. on it and it has been a pretty good vehicle.
My brother also has one that was my Pops and it's been good also, although his has less than 100000 mi on it.
I had a Ford Explorer and it needed a new trans at about 70000 and a new engine at 100000. I bought the Ford from a neighbor who had all her maint. done at the Ford dealer and the vehicle was still a piece of garbage.

THANX RICH

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking for a small one....how about a Honda CRV? The first gens are collectors now, as they are a great little 4WD and they last and last, so the young crowd are all collecting them, suping them up and taking them muddin' and such. I have one and I wouldn't part with it.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
just my $.02

I had a Hyundai SantiFe and I worked that thing like a farm truck for YEARS. Nothing stopped it. I hauled hay (can cram 8 bales inside), I pulled a trailer with over 1/2ton of gravel, snow/ice/mud no problem. Even pulled a delivery truck out of a neighbor's yard when IT got stuck in the muddy yard.
I can't say how their other SUVs are.. and a SandiFe is probably too low for what you're looking for.. but I LOVED mine and would get another in a heartbeat.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
No specific recommendations but something I've noticed is that they are always improving and updating vehicles just like everything else they sell. Something that was a good vehicle a few years back may have been improved so much it is now trash. On the other hand, some crappy vehicles actually get better. I love the stories of vehicles that lasted 20 years, but unless you are buying a 20 year old vehicle that doesn't mean anything about the vehicle they are making today. Different designers, managers, CEO's, materials, heck even the welding machines they use have changed.

Are you looking for something new or will used work? I don't put a lot of faith in a "Consumer Guides" type rating for a new model, though it may be helpful, but I'd read the reviews from different people on models that have a bit of history. But no matter how much research you do, you don't know if it is comfortable it is until you sit in it. If anyone else will ride in it, let someone else drive and you sit in the passenger seat or in the back seat for a bit. When I take a vehicle out for a test drive I don't head to the interstate and floor it, I take it on streets or roads full of potholes to see how it really rides.

AI hate buying a new or new-to-me vehicle. it's stressful and it will be a while before I know if it as a good decision or not. and no matter how nice those salesmen/women are, they are not on your side.

Latest posts