A good start....picture HEAVY

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So it all started out with this. You may remember the watering can I got from TSC in another thread? Well I decided to drill holes in it and plant it for Mother's Day. My younger daughter picked out the color of petunias (I gave her a bunch of choices I think she did good for 23 months old :D ) and my older daughter planted it. That's a 6 cell pack of wave petunias taken the day before Mother's Day.

image.jpg

Please ignore the extra stuff in the background including but not limited to weeds...

And my older daughter thinks it's the funniest thing ever to "water the watering can". I absolutely love her sense of humor.

So that gift set in motion my wife to want to go look for other unique ideas. Here's what we have so far....

image.jpg

Yes the swing needs a frames once the ceiling joists on the porch didn't line up. They are 24" on center and the swing is 56". So that's what it needs. I'm still looking for one. The watering can was already painted when we bought it and yes we bought the stool too.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The colored little buckets were from the Easter Bunny. He gave the girls pots with seeds for Shasta Daisies & cone flowers but the cats felt they were being invaded by green leafy things and promptly launched a decisive counter attack. The house is now safe from dangerous seedlings once again. Thank you feline secret service.

image.jpg

I'm really quite partial to the mop bucket and the coal scuttle, but the mop bucket is my favorite hands down. It has a TON of character. I found it and picked it up. There was no way was I going to part with it. Luckily I didn't meet any objections. In fact I went back and bought the coal scuttle because I liked it so much too.

I drilled them all for drainage and they now happily holding New Guinea Impatients, petunias, and pansies to name a few off the top of my head. The plastic pots are also planted it's been a really fun spring.

I will get updated pictures here sooner you can see everything.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that will be so cute when it's done. Can't wait to see pics. If you are on FB you should check out the Flea Market Gardening page. They make all kinds of cute yard decor out of old junk. :)

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great finds. So much potential with the coal bucket and stool. Sounds like you have some wonderful helpers (not the cats) lol.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you!

We have a VERY large antique outlet near us. It's literally an outlet since there are something like 200+ booths there. It's really a great place to go roam in. @Nyboy could spend DAYS in there lol ;). If you ever make it to my neck of the woods I'll drop you at the door and see you in about a week.

No piece was over $30 either. We passed on a few because we felt they were more than we wanted to spend. We keep our eyes peeled for "stuff". Still want to find a nice bird cage to coax some trailing flowers that's not a zillion dollars. Maybe an old water pump, a tricycle, or fire extinguisher, come to mind.

@journey11 yes I follow Flea Market Gardening. That's actually where the first watering can of flowers idea came from.

Latest posts