A little bit about Kaycei - with pictures

kaycei

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi. I wandered over here from Sufficient Self, which I was introduced to by my dad. I've only been hanging out there since Christmas, and I'm not that active yet. Most of my posts have been about what seeds I've planted.

A little bit about me... I'm in my early 30s, married, no children, 2 cats and a 75 gallon fish tank. I grew up in the military and moved around quite a bit. Went off to college, joined the army, met my now-husband, got out of the army, got married, moved into a townhouse and tried container gardening, loved container gardening, bought a house in October, and now I'm eagerly awaiting spring so I can start planting.

I live in Wisconsin, near Minneapolis/St.Paul, Minnesota. (I commute to downtown Minneapolis each day for work.) I'm zone 4a, practically zone 3. I'd say most of the winter has been below zero, although this weekend has been a warm and sunny 40 degrees. Snow is melting and I keep looking over at the asparagus patch and the area where I planted my tulips and daffodils, hoping something will be sticking out of the ground. I know better and won't expect to see anything for at least another month, maybe longer. I'm afraid this warmth is only temporary.

Between my husband and I, we have about 750 seedlings started. I'm not sure what we're going to do with them all. We have a grow-table set up in the basement, however its still 50 down there, and the table is about 3/4 full, and we've only transplanted one tray (Jiffy, 72 peat pellets) so far.

My seed list has 62 entries on it, and I haven't updated it for a while. But to give you an idea of what I'm growing:
Artichokes (5 different varieties, I know it will be a challenge), tomatoes (at least 5 varieties, mostly heirloom), Sugar Snap Peas, Snow Peas, Egg Plant, Summer and Winter Squash, Watermelon, Beets, a handful of herbs, strawberries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts (not started yet), Sweet Peppers (at least 3 varieties), a salad green blend, spinach, and then my flowers: Marigold (150+ to ring the vegetable garden), Lisianthus (I sure hope they'll germinate), dahlias, and violas. I'm hoping to have a nice cut flower garden to go with my vegetable garden.

My husband has some corn, pumpkin, garlic and a bunch of hot peppers started.

I was able to spend a weekend working on my flower garden between buying my house and winter coming. So I have about 100 tulips and daffodil bulbs in the ground, a long with a few lilies, hyacinths, and irises. I noticed some hostas around the yard from the previous occupants, along with hollyhocks and who knows what else. (They had an overgrown English garden style landscaping.)

I'm not a master gardener, although my mom and one of my sisters are. I plan to take the next class in my area, which won't be until fall.

We have almost 3/4 of an acre and plan to put up a greenhouse in April. I'm hoping to have enough produce to for canning. (Although, I've only canned tomatoes, and that was several years ago, helping my mom.) A food dehydrator is on the to-get list and I'm thinking about a pressure canner.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Kaycei,
Welcome!! I hope you enjoy this forum, it sounds like you have alot to offer and you will learn so much here too.
Wow, it sounds like you are off and running. I bet you will have enough produce to can!
I love canning food that I grow. It gives me alot of satisfaction to providing my own food one step further.
I wish you so much luck on this endeavor, keep us posted on how you are doing with it, won't you?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome, Kaycei! Great to see another Wisconsinite on here :) Although I get a wee bit envious of beautiful salads being posted here right now, gotta say it's nice to have some hibernation time, too :) When else would we get all that reading done?

Sounds like you have an amazing start. Is this your first garden? You should have plenty for canning, drying and freezing. I've found steam canners to be a great, low-energy, low-water way to can acidic foods like tomatoes and other fruits. Pressure canners are great for all the rest. We do a lot of freezing here and have not had any power-outage issues like some other parts of the country.

Good luck! It sounds like you will have a real bounty and variety next summer!

me&thegals

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Kaycei....

Welcome to TEG...

Im sort of a newbie myself, and as I am STILL in Iraq, I have yet to get started...

I have just 5 weeks to go (I hope), then, I can get back home to Jacksonville (FL, zone 8b/9) and start to prep my garden beds...

I have been drooling over a few seed catalogues that have been sent here, and alot of online seed sites, trying to figure out what I can grow.. with so much prep time, gone....

Im going to have maybe 2 garden beds, and alot of containers ..
I'm even going to try a few sacks if you will... with potatoes and sweet potatoes..

By next fall, I will have my compost pile going, and be ready to plant some garlic and start an asparagus bed...

ALL I know, is I can't wait to get my hands deep in American soil...lol, and start to get some semblence of life again as I remember.. A year has been too long, and these 5 weeks will go by so slowly!

Again welcome from a fellow newbie, and in a couple of months, I will probably inundate this forum with how to questions...

kaycei

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome.
And... my lisianthus started sprouting!

kaycei

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here's a few pictures of what's going on in my indoor garden:

Copy+of+DSCN0940.JPG

These are the indoor greenhouses we bought at Fleet Farm for $25 each.

Copy+of+DSCN0905.JPG

This is our basement set up with our grow lights. We are basically using aquarium lights that "stimulate plant growth."

Copy+of+DSCN0916.JPG

My 144 Marigold seedlings, to go around the garden.

Copy+of+DSCN0911.JPG

My peas (sugar snap and snow), along with some squash, salad greens and a few other items.

Copy+of+DSCN0910.JPG

Emerald Green artichokes in Wall Street Journal newspaper pots. (Does anyone else find my newspaper choice ironic?)

Latest posts