A Low-Down Dirty Weed

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
UGH, I spent most of Sunday weeding the garden. It looks pretty good now. But pulling the pig weed was frusterating. Most broke off at soil line and will be back! grrr

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I feel bad for you all. That sounds like a rediculous weed! I don't think we have it around here. At least I haven't seen it. What we have is Burdock. It is near impossible to get rid of. Roots about a mile and a half long!! Break them off and they just come back with vigor.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Pigweed is related to amaranth, right? I wonder if sufficient research has been done to find a use for these super tough plants. Medicinal? paper pulp? animal feed? fuel? building material? ("My house has a pigweed block foundation and 6" pigweed fluff insulation") If it becomes useful, it will probably then develop some dread disease, and wipe itself out. :/
Try feeding it to pigs.

My import from cow manure was burdock. Nuff said.

When I was a kid I'd feed a lot of that to our pigs, especially late in the summer and the fall as we headed toward butchering time so I guess I could call it hogweed. Dad called it careless weed. The pigweed I have here has thorns, nasty thorns. I guess that's the same weed. I sure don't remember the stuff I fed to the pigs having those thorns, not that the pigs would care.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just got done running the stirrup ho over the entire garden!!!! I can say there were billions of those nasty weeds in the garden. Carol dee, ours will be back also.... tons of little ones out there still. :barnie :th

Latest posts