A Melon for Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know that I have come up with anything special for @ninnymary . Last night and again this morning, I was trying to find a variety popular in the UK, thinking that the growing season there is probably similar to San Francisco. A hybrid cantaloupe called Epic looks like a more sure bet than some but it may not be available in the US. Halifax Seed sells it but the "ship anywhere in Canada" on their homepage suggests that they may not ship south of the border.

The Canadian route may be the way to go for a variety that can tolerate a cool growing season. Their selections may not be exclusive and it is interesting how similar but I know that both West Coast and Veseys ship to the US. You would be looking at offerings from both sides of the continent, Mary.

West Coast Seed
Veseys Seed

Also, West Coast has an online article with some tips for growing melons in a cool climate.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you recommend a particular one from the two sites mentioned above?

Hmm...I wonder if I know anyone in Canada that could get Epic for me. ;)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Earlichamp ..

. is a "western type," if'n that is important to you.

It's found in a number of catalogues ... i gave that a Canadian spelling just to show my cosmopolitan tendencies ;).

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have dealt with the animal import/ export rules and regulations with Canada several times. Australia is much more strict and in the end, I couldn't do business there due to quaranteens imposed. I would recommend that you check with USDA before you make any purchases as the agricultural rules and regulations are very strict and expensive in terms of time and money. Follow that up with businesses that are licensed to import agricultural items to the US. Good luck !

Latest posts