A New Nut Grass Killer

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ever heard of Vexis? Its a new granular for killing nutsedge. That is exciting!

Wanna know what is not exciting? Treatment calls for 4 pounds per thousand square feet. A second treatment would total 8lbs for both. I saw a 15lb bag for sale at 40 bucks.

My front yard is 20,000 square feet easy. The cost kinda hurts my feelings.:mad:

Thats like 500 bucks after taxes and all I bet, and it will not go spread itself at that price.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look and see what the active ingredient is. Bet you could buy a generic version or the straight ingredientnat local fertilizer place for 10% of money.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Look and see what the active ingredient is. Bet you could buy a generic version or the straight ingredientnat local fertilizer place for 10% of money.
Not yet. Pyrimisulfane. That is the part they just invented. Dat's de problemo.

Hold The Presses!

I got the impression it was a molecule invented by a different company, but maybe thats just a sales contract. I found this:

"Pyrimisulfan is a novel paddy herbicide that was discovered and developed by Kumiai Chemical Industry Co., Ltd.; Ihara Chemical Industry Co., Ltd.; and K-I Chemical Research Institute Co., Ltd. It was registered in Japan in 2010 and launched the first one-shot herbicide containing only one active ingredient (a.i.) developed with our original formulation technology. The compound is sulfonanilide, having a pyrimidinyl-containing group at the 2'-position and an acetolactate synthase (ALS) inhibitor. Pyrimisulfan shows broad-spectrum weed control against annual grass, sedge, broadleaf, and sulfonylurea-resistant weeds without causing phytotoxic injury to rice. At doses of 50-75 g a.i./ha, pyrimisulfan has a wide application window and exhibits long residual activity against these weeds. Pyrimisulfan has favorable toxicological, ecotoxicological, and environmental profiles. Pesticide Science Society of Japan"

I never considered trying to grab rice but grabbing a similiar looking weed instead. What a problem this must solve for rice farmers!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ll talk to a friend. That chemistry is a group 2 ALS (whitening agent).

Latest posts