A question about strawberry jar

GreenGardenMom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I got a strawberry jar, the type with many holes. I wonder how you fill it with soil. If I put soil higher than the lowest hole, the soil will go out, especially when I water it. If so, it can only hold a little bit soil. What shall I do?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fill it with soil up to the first level, then set your plants. Then you can fill it a bit higher, to the next level of holes, set your plant, rinse, repeat. The plant roots will hold the soil in place. Just don't water too vigorously for the first few weeks, keep it moist, but no hose stream, if you know what I mean.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I highly suggest taking a piece of PVC pipe, cut it the length of your strawberry pot ( alittle bit higher than the intended soil level), cap the bottom end and then drill holes down the sides. Place the pipe into the pot,then fill with soil.

The pipe helps to get water down inside the pot and really promotes good growth.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dace said:
I highly suggest taking a piece of PVC pipe, cut it the length of your strawberry pot ( alittle bit higher than the intended soil level), cap the bottom end and then drill holes down the sides. Place the pipe into the pot,then fill with soil.

The pipe helps to get water down inside the pot and really promotes good growth.
Yup, that is definitely a plus, but not the end of the world if you don't have the pipe handy.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dace said:

Ooooh, I like that plan!!! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I couldn't resist buying my strawberry pot- it is cobalt blue- just can't pass anything up in that color! I really didn't think it would work great for strawberries- but it does! Watering is not an issue. I just pour the majority of the water into the top, and add a few drops on the side holes. At the end of the season, I "unplant" the pot and add the strawberries to my permanent bed.
This year the plants are so expensive, I think I will try to use runners to fill it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a clay strawberry jar that I stopped using because it didn't seem to work very well. It kept getting to dry. I didn't want to try it with succulents or herbs. I have a very nice pot with various succulents and that's all I want. The herbs I prefer to plant in the ground. Maybe, I'll try it again with the pvc pipe.

Mary

Latest posts