A question for JOe - And anyone else who might know or want to learn.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
About that palm tree you identified over there , i would like to give one to a dear plant trading fiend who we all know and love. However, when i started digging, i started to find that this baby's infrastructure is pretty intense.

Translation: it's going to cost someone a couple of limbs to mail it.

Question: is it reasonable/possible to take a cutting off of one of these and root it and then mail it?????

You're the cutting master. I will actually follow your instructions on this one. Please direct me. :D

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
About that palm tree you identified over there , i would like to give one to a dear plant trading fiend who we all know and love. However, when i started digging, i started to find that this baby's infrastructure is pretty intense.

Translation: it's going to cost someone a couple of limbs to mail it.

Question: is it reasonable/possible to take a cutting off of one of these and root it and then mail it?????

You're the cutting master. I will actually follow your instructions on this one. Please direct me. :D
Well thank you for the complement.

A Palm will only grow from the crown/ the center. If it is cut from the plant the plant and the crown dies. But one could eat that crown!

Not the best but is full of Vitamins and Nuits. There is a lot we can eat from the woods and swamp!

That Palm is like Beefy said a Palmetto it may look small but has been growing for a few years now. The tap root on that is long, it would take a deep root ball to keep it alive.

If I were you I would cover this in the cold nights and enjoy it right were it is. As an odd tropic to show friends. That would give a few wows and things!

The way Palms are grown here is from seed and set out in huge fields.

I have never read of a palm cutting, so to answer that question , no it is not feasible.

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you, Joe, from me and posterity. :)

Thankfully, after i posted, i went traipsing through the woods and found some itty bitty babies that are worthy of our postal system.

Good information though.

I have so many of these, fyi, sprouting in my woods, that even though i want to get rid of them (in spite of your encouragement, sorry), i will be unable.

So i will happily give away the diggable (that's a technical term) babies, and the others will have to fend for themselves.

If any of them manage to make it to maturity, i will realize they were meant to be.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is like the forest is changing! Birds obviously spread the seeds, and now they are just sprouting! One day there will be a Global Shift and your yard might be on the Equator--by then the Palms will have formed a forest and the monkeys would have moved in ! LOL

I would go out there and dig up a dozen of them and pot them. Who ever survives the winter in a pot can become a donation to someone; then you will know they survived the pull from the ground.

Either that or just let nature fix what nature wants to fix. If there is a niche in the environment, then this may be nature's way of filling it. It might give you an excuse to fill the forest with all kinds of introduced species! That would be fun!

Ron :rainbow-sun

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
heres what i would do. (lol-)

first, i would traipse around in the yard/woods/neighborhood and determine if you have a tree palm or a bush palm. are there any palm TREES around or just a bunch of palmy looking bushes? there are both palmetto palm trees and palmetto palm bushes, and they are totally different but look the same until the tree starts trunking (growing vertically into a tree). if there is a tree, you can collect seeds to send as a donation as from my experience palms are hard to transplant even in ideal circumstances, much less getting lost in the mail and hounded by the feds.

rooting a palm from foliage is impossible. occasionally some kinds of palms will sprout out more than one "trunk" from a rootbase. the best way to grow a palm is from seed. putting them in pots is a good idea, you could always sell them if you didnt give them away--BUT they might grow big long deep roots depending on what kind of palm it is. this is why some types of palms are hard to transplant.

a few years ago i was at the beach and dug up 5 from my aunts property, little baby grasslike ones like in your pict, and out of those 5 only one lived. and i babied them!

so what gives? what do you have against palms and nandinas?

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The largest of these is exactly what is in the picture on the thread i linked to. There are dozens, but i've never seen them any larger. I don't think they naturally make it around here. That's just my thoughts right now.

And they're not itty bitty. Those leaves are really really long.

I don't hate palms.

I do hate nandina a little, but i can see that it has its place. I already have the chinese privet fighting to take the place of my native yaupon, and the nandina is just going to have to bow out of that race.

The truth is that i am head over hills in desperate slobbering love with the natural habitat of my little forest here. And while i recognize that some agreeable imports might be acceptable as 'imported natives,' (yes, i just made that up), i am not crazy about the thought of adding palms to my mesic ecosystem. It just doesn't fit.

It is my desire to cooperate as much as is reasonable with the natural beauty already established - and to embellish its beauty. For this particular plot of land, raising tropical and exotic items such as palm trees in my forest does not appeal to me. That's just me. :rolleyes:

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
The largest of these is exactly what is in the picture on the thread i linked to. There are dozens, but i've never seen them any larger. I don't think they naturally make it around here. That's just my thoughts right now.

I don't hate palms.

I do hate nandina a little, but i can see that it has its place. I already have the chinese privet fighting to take the place of my native yaupon, and the nandina is just going to have to bow out of that race.

The truth is that i am head over hills in desperate slobbering love with the natural habitat of my little forest here. And while i recognize that some agreeable imports might be acceptable as 'imported natives,' (yes, i just made that up), i am not crazy about the thought of adding palms to my mesic ecosystem. It just doesn't fit.

It is my desire to cooperate as much as is reasonable with the natural beauty already established - and to embellish its beauty. For this particular plot of land, raising tropical and exotic items such as palm trees in my forest does not appeal to me. That's just me. :rolleyes:
This is just my thoughts here.

If you did not plant them then Nature did! The Earth is changing all the time. These Palms may just have acclimated to the colder zone.

If you think about it at one time all those native trees you have were also not growing there. Over time they found there way there.

Again I would yank out those darned Mulberry's and let the rest grow as nature intended. ;)

Again that is just my thoughts. The Palms won't become invasive but the Mulberry will! I know it seems harmless now but give it time and you will have a never ending battle to save the forest from being choked out!.

It is your land so do as you wish!
The main thing is to enjoy what ever it is you do.

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
PunkinPeep said:

I don't hate palms.

This is just my thoughts here.

If you did not plant them then Nature did! The Earth is changing all the time. These Palms may just have acclimated to the colder zone.

If you think about it at one time all those native trees you have were also not growing there. Over time they found there way there.

Again I would yank out those darned Mulberry's and let the rest grow as nature intended. ;)

Again that is just my thoughts. The Palms won't become invasive but the Mulberry will! I know it seems harmless now but give it time and you will have a never ending battle to save the forest from being choked out!.

It is your land so do as you wish!
The main thing is to enjoy what ever it is you do.

Joe
I'm not sure what has given you the impression that i am going to coddle the mulberries and slaughter the palm trees. :lol: But that is not my intention. I cannot possibly slaughter all the mulberries, but i will wherever it is in my ability. If the palms have acclimated to a cooler climate, then they will continue to grow. If not, they'll be dead in the spring. I do not intend to intervene in either direction. They're in the forest.

That said, considering that this area has been all but completely untouched for an indefinite amount of time, i feel i can say with some level of newbie's confidence that the paper mulberries, in this particular patch of real estate, do not have the ability to so greatly wreck nature's balance. They're rare on this property and are visible chiefly on the disturbed areas - the areas where they will be cut out routinely. In the forest, they are a very very weak minority.

Rest easy, my friend. I am keeping them at bay. I promise. :hugs

The nandina and the chinese privet are scheduled for full and complete on-going slaughter at the first sign of health, good weather, and sharp hatchet. :D

Latest posts