A tribute to my father in law and his roses... [pic heavy]

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today is the one year anniversary of my husband's father passing. I wanted to post some pictures of his famous roses in his honor. At the time of his death he was maintaining 67 rose bushes planted on the hillside behind his house. He was one of the most amazing greenthumbs I've ever known and it is a tremendous loss to me to no longer have him around and his garden wisdom.

He was a retired coal miner, school bus driver, former boxer and Vietnam Vet. To look at him, you would never guess what a love he had for flowers, roses in particular.

He tended to his roses almost daily, cutting blooms every other day to keep them prolific. He did not like to use sprays on his roses because he wanted you to be able to smell them without burying your nose in pesticides. He faithfully picked japanese beetles by hand.

While he had many beautiful varieties of floribundas, grandifloras and hybrid teas, what he valued most in a rose was its scent. And it was his joy to give them away! He was known around town for his roses and made many a lady's day by unexpectedly presenting her with a bouquet. He'd give them to the nurses in the doctor's offices, which he frequented often because of his health problems and melted the icy hearts of many a receptionist at the VA clinics.

This was a hobby he took up as he was recovering from a brainstem stroke suffered at the young age of 50. It is known now that his exposure to Agent Orange is linked to stroke. He was such a big, strong, bear of a man and his doctors believe that his exceptional health at the time, in addition to early detection allowed him to survive this kind of stroke when most die from it.

This time last year, after a successful week of ginseng hunting, he went to bed, had another stroke in his sleep and was gone. He had made an amazing recovery from the first stroke, but we knew the threat of another was always there. But we never expected to lose him so soon. He was only 57 years old.

We still have his rose garden to help keep his memory blooming in our hearts. My brother-in-law tries his best to give it the care it deserves.

Here are a few shots of his roses from a couple years ago. I used these to make coasters for Christmas presents one year. My mother-in-law has commissioned me to make 7 more to give in memorial to his close family and friends.

6486_roses04_08sq.jpg

6486_roses04_07sq.jpg

6486_roses04_06sq.jpg

6486_roses04_04sq.jpg

6486_roses04_03sq.jpg

6486_roses04_02sq.jpg

6486_roses04_05b.jpg

6486_roses04_01.jpg

This last one is a picture of him holding his sweetest rose, my daughter as a newborn, who we named Ava Rose in his honor.
6486_picture__029b.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow journey

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful & caring man.

The roses are very beautiful & I can smell them, in my imagination, way over here in the UK.

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
that is just so beautiful .. thank you so much for sharing ..I need to go clean the tears off my glasses now
I just want to reach through here and give you many many hugs

OOOXXX

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What a beautiful Tribute!

I was so touched I literally could see your husband's father tending his roses. How sweet!

Did he have tags on the named roses? Maybe you can mark everything just incase; I am bad about losing a tag because my brain lapses on names.

I can see he is a man of the garden just by his hands and his energies! I would have spotted him in a crowd! I think his passing was very peaceful and certainly surrounded by the Love of his Gardens and his Family! A graceful Journey has begun!

Love :bouquet

Ron

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
He knew all their names, but he didn't keep them labeled. I only know a couple... :(