A Warm Concrete Greenhouse Floor

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I saw this article, I immediately thought about warming concrete and then how it might be applied. A greenhouse floor use naturally popped into my head. Sure enough, as I read through the article, it mentions a 5v current warming the graphenated concrete to 41C. That may be a little to warm for for some plants, but then were it to be cold out the energy may be enough to maintain a lower and more appropriate temperature. At 5 volts, it also strikes me that solar power might be used.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can see a lot of promise in residential building applications but for greenhouse use, i would continue to favor gravel from a drainage standpoint. Now, if it could be made to power grow lights, then they’d have something! No matter how warm my greenhouse is, the solar declination thing (lack of light) gets in the way up here.🤓

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can see a lot of promise in residential building applications but for greenhouse use, i would continue to favor gravel from a drainage standpoint. Now, if it could be made to power grow lights, then they’d have something! No matter how warm my greenhouse is, the solar declination thing (lack of light) gets in the way up here.🤓
Ummmm..

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My husband and I are building a passive solar house and plan to put in a passive solar greenhouse. It depends on heating and cooling tubes to deliver air circulation. In some of what we have been reading, large tubs of water are included in the back wall, and the sun heats them, creating an artificially heated environment.

We are still debating ideas about what we would like to try first. We still have a lot of work ahead of us and walls to put up for our pole barn/garage. We are almost out of time as it is. I may post pictures of it when it is completely done. It is made out of grain bins and is better quality/stronger than anything anyone could have built.

Last edited:

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thought I would check in to see if there has been progress on the passive solar house front perhaps? Your project sounds intriguing! :)
We have the pole barn/garage completed on the outside, so we should be able to buy materials and keep them out of the weather now. We are completing the inside of that before moving on to building the house. We did set up a separate solar panel system for the garage and hope to put it up on the poles before the year's end, but we will see. I think we are making good progress towards our goal, but we also are looking to buy more equipment, so we can do most of the work ourselves and due to the chip shortages, even the old stuff is disappearing.