A wonderful way to recycle old tyres

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
A friend of mine shared this on BYC awhile ago:

500x1000px-LL-53b92293_chickenflowerpots.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any more info, just this pic, but I'm definitely going risk a few fingers and figure out how to make these. I love chickens and plants and this is a wonderful combination of my two hobbies.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope you figure it out, then maybe you can share directions here! They are really neat.
Oh I'm definitely going to give it a try. I've love some of these for my garden. I'll share pics and directions once I figured it out.

Which might take awhile.

Before we get too technical, what is the best tool to cut a tyre with???

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
A regular old steak knife (or box cutter) will cut the sidewall - but you're going to have to find something really heavy duty to split the tread sides...

eta: - wait.. I took a second look and those are pansies. I was thinking that they used car/truck tires but those are probably little lawn mower type tires. Box cutter should do the trick.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You're right! I didn't pay attention to the flowers, pansies are small, so those can't be car tyres...

It would go much easier with small tyres, if I can find some. Awesome!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It should be a breeze with one of those! Thank you! I'll bookmark that link and see if I can find that or something similar when the time comes. Right now I'm catching my breath after moving halfway across SA and we're planning on moving back to Ireland later this year, so buying power tools and doing big projects will have to wait a little bit :( But something like those saws can come in handy for all sorts of things...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@sumi I love tools. Don't have a sawzall, but I might have to get one...... I buy tools for my DSIL, he was a little astonished to get tools from his MIL at first, but now he is delighted. I picked out a roll away tool box with the top tool box and had it shipped to him as a surprise, he was blown away by that. Surprise was smashing success.

Latest posts