AARRRGGGHHH!!! I may miss my own cherry harvest!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I never thought about missing my harvest, but DH and I will be gone for a week on a cruise to Alaska from June 6 to the 16th (I THINK, have to check the dates.) I always harvest in June and it goes for about two weeks, and I never thought to write down the harvesting dates, just starting going out daily to pick and there is always a good harvest, even last year when the freeze got most of my peaches and a the few pears on my Bartlett were finished off by blight.
I even planned a FB event cherry picking party, hamburger and hot dogs and enjoying my firepit, which is about 20 feet from both trees, friends will bring extras. NOW, I think I'll have to FB it after 1/2 of the cherries are done!
Here is what I know:
Flowers CAME out on April 13th and were heavy until April 16th.
Flowers were eclipsed by leaves last weekend, April 21st.
Here is what I have read:
Cherries are mature two months after flowering.
What does that MEAN?!?
June 13th?
June 16th?
June 21st?
We booked the cruise last summer to take advantage of best rates, and best upgrades. Not gonna cancel.
Does ANYBODY here know when my cherries are going to come in?
:hitif the birds get 1/2 of my crop.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, don't know answer to your question but send me GPS coordinates and I'll help the birds. Mongo likes cherries.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since you won't be there. I was only trying to help out as no one wants spoiling cherries on ground......I would have sent pix......just like the southerners do....l

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's the problem with trying to be self sufficient and still live in the 21st century. Unless you have live-in helpful relatives or close friendly neighbors, you are pretty much on your own.
No one I know wants to come tend to my chickens twice a day--let alone harvest/preserve crops while I take a vacation.
I hope the timing works out for you, ducks!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you i have seen someone locally put covering over their trees to keep the birds from getting their harvest. is this something you could try to do or do you have too many trees to cover/too tall? maybe you could see if there is something you could put down underneath them to catch any fallen cherries & easily have them picked up by a friend?