Accidental Mushrooms

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mushrooms are growing all over the place in my yard and garden. I mean seriously and inexplicably, everywhere... even in garden beds that are filled with dirt I bought in a bag...

I think mushrooms are cool (fairy rings!) and it really doesn't bother me. But... err... should I be concerned?

I wish I could grow some on purpose to eat. I love mushrooms. But not good enough at telling the edible ones from the poison ones that look just like them. So obviously I don't eat yard mushrooms. The main ones growing look like puffballs, except when they get big, they have a yellow coin-shaped circle inthe center of the cap. (Deadly angels?)

But I wouldn't mind growing some good ones. Though all of the "Grow your own!" mushroom kits I have seen seem kind of expensive.

Cassandra

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As you said, please don't eat any mushroom without having an absolutely positive identification - some of them are truly deadly, with no antidote!

No, you needn't worry about them. You've got lots of organic matter in your soil and the conditions are perfect for Mother Nature's cleanup crew (the fungus amongus!) They'll go away when whatever is down there is gone.

Latest posts