Adding compost & nutriets

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a long sunny flower bed, of which I removed half of the plants to make room for our new organic veggie garden. I had the soil tested and have added organic compost and nutrients for this veggie bed.

My problem is the other half of the sunny bed. This bed will continue to be a flower bed and currently has periennials, a dwarf fig tree, and 7' tall salvia shrub. I need to amend this soil also.

Can I just sprinkle the nutrients and compost around the plants without moving them? I can't think of any other way. If I do this, will the soil be almost the same as if it had been "worked" into the soil?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Mary

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
I had a long sunny flower bed, of which I removed half of the plants to make room for our new organic veggie garden. I had the soil tested and have added organic compost and nutrients for this veggie bed.

My problem is the other half of the sunny bed. This bed will continue to be a flower bed and currently has periennials, a dwarf fig tree, and 7' tall salvia shrub. I need to amend this soil also.

Can I just sprinkle the nutrients and compost around the plants without moving them? I can't think of any other way. If I do this, will the soil be almost the same as if it had been "worked" into the soil?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Mary
Hi ninnymary,

Yes i would just work in some compost or add some form of nutrients to where the plants are. It would always be a better idea to leave the plants where they are instead of digging them out. Yes the nutrients will eventually work their way down the soil but it would help to dig it in maybe a few inches into the soil without damaging the existing plants/tree. This should work fine.

Hope this helps!! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I just work in new compost with a garden rake or stir-up hoe around my perennials. I usually add it to the old mulch, dig it in, and then top it with fresh mulch for the season. Very simple. :p