Advice on a cover crop for san Diego?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I put in my Fall plants I will have a lot of empty ground. I want to grow a good cover crop. In Oklahoma I used hairy vetch but I'm not sure what the best planting will be in San Diego. I know annual rye does well here and that will build humus when it's turned under. My thought right now is red clover. It will add humus, increase nitrogen and innoculate the soil with the right root bacteria for next years beans (And feed the bees as a bonus)
Anyone had good results with a particular cover crop for green manure?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had good results when annual rye was planted early enuf to have made good growth by the time it needs to be turned over for the next year's garden. For here, that meant sowing no later than mid-August for turning under in April.

(I don't know about San Diego, tho'.)

Field peas are killed by winter weather, here. They shouldn't have that problem if winter temperatures stay above zero, I suspect.

(See, I'm really off-base with southern California. ;))

Do you think broad beans would work for you? You can buy them in bulk at an Asian market.

. . . just some rambling thoughts.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Broad (fava) beans is an interesting thought. I can even get a winter crop of them here in San Diego. Annual rye is no problem here either. It grows all winter. In fact I can probably grow and turn under several crops before Spring gets here if I start about September.