Aeroponic cloning

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted to clone six tomato plants for a late crop in the greenhouse and had read a claim for an aeroponic cloning unit that read as follows:

" The Clone King Cloning Machine Utilizes An Aeroponic Cloning Method To Make Successful Cloning

Quick And Easy. Plant Cuttings Are Suspended In Mid-Air Where They Are Sprayed Continuously By

A Highly-Oxygenated Aeroponic Mist. Friction On The Stem Caused By The Mist And Water Run Off

Forces The Cutting To Start Producing Rooting Hormones. In As Little As 3-5 Days Roots Will Start To

Appear For Most Varieties. In 10-14 Days Your Newly Rooted Plants Are Ready To Transplant Into Any

Type Of Growth Medium Or Environment You Prefer. "

I wanted to try the method, but did not want to buy a unit; as I had almost everything I needed I decided to build my own. All I needed was the 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings, which I purchased at Home Depot for four dollars and change. In about an hour I had my unit and placed six cuttings in it, I added two gallons of plain water and turned it on. They were right, in only five days the cuttings are rooting. I plan on using the unit to also grow basil and lettuce to completion by adding nutrients.

Jack B

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
As I was impressed with the performance I have since built two more using different spray heads. The mister/fogger, seen on the right, is supposed to be the ultimate. I bought several of these on Ebay for under ten dollars. Theresa recently purchased a blueberry bush that has berries the size of a nickle, so I am cloning three of those and using the mister to clone an arbequina olive tree. Each unit cost me less than ten dollars, but I already had the pumps. Busy hands are happy hands. :cool:

Jack B

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
A week and a half ago I removed the growing tops of the tomato plants in the greenhouse and put them in the aeroponic cloner with a mixture of kelp extract and hydroponic nutrients. Only about ten days later I have six nice plants for a late crop in the greenhouse. This late in the season I plan on only letting a few trusses form and topping off the plants early.

Jack B

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am trying to picture this set-up. Does the PVC pipe contraption fit on the pump, surbmerged in water in the bucket, with the nozzles spraying a mist on the ends of the cuttings stuck into the lid? Did you dip them in rooting hormone before placing them in the holes in the lid? Submersible pump, apparently?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I am trying to picture this set-up. Does the PVC pipe contraption fit on the pump, surbmerged in water in the bucket, with the nozzles spraying a mist on the ends of the cuttings stuck into the lid? Did you dip them in rooting hormone before placing them in the holes in the lid? Submersible pump, apparently?
I am now using it for an aeroponic unit and will grow basil to completion, as my wife loves fresh basil on her sandwiches. (gotta keep the wife happy) The bucket is a little more than half full, and yes the PVC manifold fits on the pump, which runs 24/7. The nutrients spray from the manifold and are totally oxygenated bouncing all over the inside of the container. There is a fine mist constantly in the container, which feeds and supplies oxygen to the roots. Rooting hormone is not really necessary, but I did use it on the tomatoes, not on the basil, as it was started from seed. The basil will grow so quickly you can almost watch it grow. These really work well for small plants like lettuce and herbs. The difference being the basil is in a small cup, and soon the roots will be hanging right in the nutrients, and then it will really take off. :cool:

Jack B

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Be careful about bringing in pests from your out door plants.
I never go into the greenhouse if I have been anywhere near outdoor plants. The basil is being grown indoors in a tent and I can guarantee there are no pests in there. I have total control of the conditions indoors, and I really prefer growing somethings indoors.

Jack B

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So my question is how do you get the tomatoes out of those plugs once they're rooted...? Or do they stay in?

Ohhhh, new pics, so the foam has a slit, so you can unwrap it from around the stem...

I think i have everything i need to do this!!

Latest posts