African Violets

sebrightlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Anyone grow them?

I saw seeds for miniatures in Park Seed, and I want to try them! Hopefully I can keep the yellow demon cat from eating them!

sebrightlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh my! I went looking at african violet websites and now I know what I'll be adding to the indoor garden that consists of only a mother in law tongue!

Anyone have luck with orchids?

Rosewood

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi,
I used to belong to the African violet society in Monmouth NJ. Fascinating: you would not believe how many different types of them there are.

I also like Jade so I started to collect them, the problem was the Jade had Mealy bugs on them and they infected my violets. Ruined every last one.

I disinfected the entire garden window but the bugs keep coming back. I have to grow something they do not like, and just wait.

:dance

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Note: African violets have low light requirements, so you can grow them on your desk at work, thereby avoiding the yellow demon cat.

I have a grey-and-white demon cat of similar appetites. African violets are reserved for my desk at work, while hibiscus, jasmine, aloe cacti and geraniums seem relatively safe.

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My grandmother is a genius at these things. I kill them so fast.....
She gives me a leaf to root every Christmas. So far it is still alive. This year's is purple and white. I hope I can keep it alive.

sebrightlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Note: African violets have low light requirements, so you can grow them on your desk at work, thereby avoiding the yellow demon cat.

I have a grey-and-white demon cat of similar appetites. African violets are reserved for my desk at work, while hibiscus, jasmine, aloe cacti and geraniums seem relatively safe.
Well, I work as a vet tech and have no desk. But I'm gonna use my desk at home - we keep our "office" closed except when we are in there. My demon cat eats pretty much anything without thorns. But so far he's only trying uprooting the snake plant.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used to have a huge pair of 2 foot tubs filled with them... I rarely watered them, they sat in the far corner of a untended room, and they would bloom like crazy.... For me at least, they grow the best when you don't over love them.