Ahead of schedule

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looks like the tomatoes that Ava planted for Santa are really going to be ready for Thanksgiving. :rolleyes:

1102-1.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup Come December, I'm sure Santa would much prefer a red, ripe tomato to those greasy ol' cookies. ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, what kind of tomatoes are those? Are those all the tomatoes on the plant that we see in the picture? Maybe if there are smaller ones those will be ready for Santa. Lucky him...I miss Ava. :(

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Jackb, what kind of tomatoes are those? Are those all the tomatoes on the plant that we see in the picture? Maybe if there are smaller ones those will be ready for Santa. Lucky him...I miss Ava. :(

Mary
Mary,
The plant is an indeterminate greenhouse hybrid, Trust. To limit the size of the plant I only allowed three trusses for form and then I topped it off. The reason being, that I have to keep the light 18" from the top of the plant, and space is limited. Limiting the number of trusses also hastens the development of fruit, and I think increases fruit size. The photo shows the bottom of the plant, and, yes there are more small fruit. The plant is growing so quickly though they may be ripe before Christmas. Perhaps I could make salsa and leave it out for Santa with some chips and a beer. ;) Ava told her mother that she would like her own garden for Christmas. THAT may be a problem in upstate New York.....

Here is the top.

t2.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just picked the first tomatoes and they are really early this year, as I did not begin to get ripe tomatoes until the first day of winter last year. There are still plenty of green tomatoes, so Santa may still have a fresh home grown tomato instead of a cookie. They really could not be more home grown than these. :)

112512.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my, Jackb! I will tell you, looking at your pictures makes me grow green with envy! Those are perfectly, perfect tomatoes!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Oh my, Jackb! I will tell you, looking at your pictures makes me grow green with envy! Those are perfectly, perfect tomatoes!
I keep telling you Lesa it ain't rocket science. ;)
Jack

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you use seed especially for greenhouse grown tomatoes? I got fairly hard tomatoes until I used specialty seed. I finally stopped because I could not control whitefly organically, Though I was not hydroponic which must make a big difference with pests.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Jackb, we always see your successes. Do you ever have any failures? Life is just not fair.:/ Those tomatoes look like they belong in a magazine photo shoot.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Do you use seed especially for greenhouse grown tomatoes? I got fairly hard tomatoes until I used specialty seed. I finally stopped because I could not control whitefly organically, Though I was not hydroponic which must make a big difference with pests.
These are a hybrid called Trust, and they are supposed to be the premier greenhouse tomato. They run about a dollar a seed, but my wife says they are worth it because they taste so good. I received some free seeds recently for a variety called Virginia Sweets and I am going to start one of them soon as a trial. They are supposed to be yellow with ruby stripes. Ava will love those. :rolleyes:

Latest posts