Almond trees in south?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,
I ordered an almond tree for planting in my orchard. Has anyone have an almond tree in a southern climate? I'm not sure if they would do well in this type of climate? I know almonds are similar to peach trees.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of Almonds are grown in the central valley of California, mainly from north of Sacramento to Fresno. At least that's the way it used to be. Especially around Ripon, where it is pronounced aamund. Perhaps if you look up both climates there and your climate and compare climates, and then google growing almond trees you can get an idea.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, that is true about all those almonds growing there. I love to drive down to Fresno and see all those trees in bloom. The only thing is that we have no humidity there unlike the south. I don't know if that would make the difference in growing them there.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I lived in the Fresno area for 17 years. Another thing... to produce an Almond crop one needs to have a different variety almond tree to cross pollinate .

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bobm said:
I lived in the Fresno area for 17 years. Another thing... to produce an Almond crop one needs to have a different variety almond tree to cross pollinate .
The variety I ordered is self-pollinating.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenthumb, I just noticed it says you're from NY. New York? Is the Almond you bought going to be planted in the south? Which state of the south? I'd think South Carolina would be different than Arkansas...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Greenthumb, I just noticed it says you're from NY. New York? Is the Almond you bought going to be planted in the south? Which state of the south? I'd think South Carolina would be different than Arkansas...
Marshall,

Yes it will be planted in the south, North Carolina to be exact. I've talked to a few nurseries today that sell almond trees and they said the main factor with almonds in the south would be the humid weather causing disease problems. I bet spraying them would be necessary. It looks as though almonds are a challenge but not impossible to produce. I really like almonds and only thought it would be nice to at least try to plant them to see how they do. I like using almonds in my baking also.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greenthumb, but neighbor has 2 almond trees and they do amazing. No worries, the almonds will do just fine here :)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Greenthumb, but neighbor has 2 almond trees and they do amazing. No worries, the almonds will do just fine here :)
Thank you vfem :D , Its great to hear that others are growing them fine. Would you happen to know what varieties they were? I know the one I ordered is All in One.

Latest posts